Watered petrol

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Karl

Re: Watered petrol

Post by Karl »

From the mainland Europe:
My BMW 130 i E87 with N52 engine, 3l, 265 HP, is running on Super 95 E10 with BMW permission since six years now without any problems.
Karl
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Mine has the S54B32 M3 343bhp engine and I have been advised not to use E10.
Karl

Post by Karl »

According to BMW, all BMW engines can use E10, only where Super Plus 98 octane is specified as the only fuel, not.
This was the official statement from BMW works service station in Bonn some years ago.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Karl wrote:...only where Super Plus 98 octane is specified as the only fuel...
That's what I was advised by BMW tech, except in an emergency.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Paul Blore wrote:According to the Esso website, their Synergy Supreme+ 97 super unleaded contain no ethanol, unless you are in Cornwall, Devon, Teeside or Scotland.

Paul

:shock: That's me stuffed then!!!
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Roger,
I thought one of your other postings had suggested that 98 Super was better than the standard 95 because of less ethanol. I was trying to indicate that the Shell web site suggests that they have the same ethanol content. E.g. Both 5%
Has this changed over the last 10 years as I was advised at the time my engine was built that it would be perfectly OK on standard unleaded.
Peter C
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I think there are two factors to consider Peter. The first one is the octane level, which is dictated primarily by compression ratio, but other factors like the head design, material etc. have an influence. The second one is ethanol content, which seems at best to be variable up to the current 5% maximum.
One of the issues being cited against fuel with ethanol is the separation of any water, but I can't see why a modern vehicle wouldn't be equally affected by this.
Trying to locate fuel with low or zero ethanol would appear to be something of a lottery, even with the major premium brands.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Paul Blore wrote:One of the issues being cited against fuel with ethanol is the separation of any water, but I can't see why a modern vehicle wouldn't be equally affected by this.
Have a look on the FBHVC website for the list of compatible materials - that's the difference.

Yes, I agree, it's a total lottery. But the odds for low ethanol are higher for the higher octane-rated fuels.