I just don't Get it some times??

289, FIA & Daytona topics
morgy

I just don't Get it some times??

Post by morgy »

A couple of years ago this lovely car was in an original Condition Tatty but very original...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJHmYKXVdsE

Now fully restored and up for sale... ???
http://www.legendarymotorcar.com/invent ... -1636.aspx

Another one Gone.... :cry: :roll: :roll:

I know it's up to the new owner to do as he pleases... but....
Marsh

Re: I just don't Get it some times??

Post by Marsh »

I completely agree - in these more enlightened times, it's rare for a highly patinated car to lose it's originality to a cosmetic restoration; what a great shame that is after all these years.

There will always be healthy debate as to the relative merits of preservation vs. restoration and the market (and indeed the old car 'movement') appears to now favour the former over the latter, especially with cars of genuine historical significance, but not in this instance.

A car can only be genuinely original once; if you want one that's fresh out of the box, then have one created, - if you have the time, money and knowledge, it can be done; but don't ruin an authentic car.

L
427 'side oiler' in 1965 Street trim
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Vote #3.
I have a friend with 2 AC Greyhounds. One looks like it was dragged out of a garage after 30 years...which it was! Mechanically well sorted, it looks fab, the other one is getting the bare-metal treatment, as it was a bit scruffy looking on it's second or third respray... That's the way to do it. 8)
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Yes, that's a shame. I could understand going over the mechanicals etc. for safety and reliable use, but there's a lot of history gone with what they've done with that car. There are a lot of small detail points they've kept, or managed to locate, such as the small brass PCV elbow (very rare and v. expensive), which are nice to see - and in all fairness it's not over-restored with chrome everywhere as used to be the case.
I promised myself I'd let my car gain appropriate patina as time goes by (one tiny dent already, from the overcrowded old garage), but I don't know if I'll have the balls to keep to that. Having said that, there's no doubt that 'acquiring patina' is much cheaper than fixing everything...
morgy

Post by morgy »

While over in Canada for the Christmas period I popped into Legendary motors to have a look around, Peter Very kindly took me around his place and showed me many of the Cobra's he had in his workshop.. I actually saw this car in one of the Work Bays but didn't twig it was the same car i was taking to him about a couple of years ago. :cry:

To have a car that was perfectly drivable with beautiful patina that you could actually Drive and not worry about it... :roll: Now chances are she will now just sit in someones garage bubble and be passed from one collector too another and never see the open road again... Felling very sad.....