Karvel carpet

289, FIA & Daytona topics
IainS

Karvel carpet

Post by IainS »

Gentlemen,

Car back from the paintshop and the final push!

I'm about to start templating for the carpets and plan to use Karvel. Which direction is the rib supposed to run on both the trans tunnel and foot well, ie widthways or lengthways? I guess it should match on both??

Thanks
Iain
Roger King

Re: Karvel carpet

Post by Roger King »

Lengthways - on the trans tunnel, the carpet is glued directly onto the aluminium, folded over the sides, no edge binding anywhere - and definitely no edge binding along the folds to the sides of the tunnel. No edge binding on any floor carpets except the back edge of the front carpets. The only other binding is around the door shut shape. No 289 was ever finished at the factory with an aluminium trim strip around the doors - that was apparently a 427 thing that owners copied with bits of folded aluminium. Only the two footwell carpets are removable, retained by lift-the-dot fasteners, not the usual carpet clips. No sound deadening or insulation of any kind anywhere. Backs of seats should be carpet, rear inner wheel arches should be covered in split leather.
It's a big subject, but those are the basic pointers.
IainS

Post by IainS »

Thanks Roger, that's exactly the information I needed.

Regards

Iain
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Hi i see the karvel carpet ribs should run front to rear but on the tunnel sides and doors should the rib run vertical or same as transmission tunnel ?

Just waiting for a hot day to spray the top coat then carpets go in !

Thanks
Tony
IainS

Post by IainS »

I don't know whether the Hawk tunnel is narrower at the rear and so more splayed at the belhousing end than an original, but when I tried to fold a single piece of Karvel over the tunnel there was no way it was going to fit, at least not neatly. I have seen some scruffy folds but if you want it to fit like a glove you will need three pieces and so some sort of join. Up to you what that join should look like...

Iain
Homewood
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Homewood »

Thanks mine is a BRA and the tunnel is made by me, carpet just arrived today. I was planning to fit on doors the rib horizontal and front to back all over unless someone says that's wrong ?
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

The carpet on the outer footwell sides and glued to the inside of the doors has the ribbing running vertically. That on the front (bulkhead) part of the tunnel has the ribbing horizontal. The 'transition panel' that forms the top of this section has ribbing running across the car, but I don't think this is a separate panel on a Hawk, if memory serves. It isn't on a Kirkham either, I had to fabricate all this myself as the Kirkham is wrong.
Yes, the tunnel is slightly tapered, but should be done as one piece folded, with the ribbing horizontal, not separate bits as the edges will look terrible. If you are using the correct grade of carpet, it is pretty thin and should fold around the aluminium OK. You could maybe try and encourage it more with gentle heat?