Body style choice

289, FIA & Daytona topics
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Body style choice

Post by peterc »

Hi Nige,
Which ever design you choose we would all like to enjoy seeing it come together, so yes please to a regular update with suitable photos.
Peter C
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Thanks for the input, once I have something worth showing, other than a pile of parts, I'll put something up on here. I've got a pretty good idea of how it's going to be, but of course things could change a bit I s'pose :wink:
Nige
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Here's a question, why do you think that the 16 and 21 cars are the best lookers, what is it do you think that makes this so? Why hasn't anyone considered or like the look of 39PH, or is it because it isn't blue with white stripes :P :wink: :lol: what is it that is lesss appealing to look at??
Nige
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

It's just because Nik likes it the best. ;)
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Others are allowed to like it too... :cry: :lol:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Yes but we don't, because you do. :wink: :mrgreen:
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

The "98" car in the second picture appears to have yet another style of front arches.

It may be the light, but the rear of the rear arch on the "21" car looks a bit strange and rather hollow in the picture.

I think Andy Gordon's car looks terrific and has a cohesive style to the front and rear arches in my view.

Paul

PS I'm only kidding Nik. :D
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

The most important thing is that the shape should be pleasing to you not us. Every time you open the garage door it should make you smile. It doesn't matter what others think.
I suspect that as you chose to add an extended oil cooler slot to your current car that you like the subtle differences rather than the run of the mill shape.
39PH is that different car and has its own attraction, an obvious 60's shape car modified for racing. So why not build a 39PH copy. There won't be many other around so it will be unique.
Peter C
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Thanks for the replies, it's certainly given me something to think about. I posted this up on the Cobra Club forum as well as I wanted as much feedback as possible. It would seem that the majority of people seem to like the rear arches on the 16 car, with the front arches from the 21 car. Out of preference, I'd go for 39PH all day long, as that's pretty much bang on the money style wise for me, but that's really Niks car. I'm hoping that at some point in the future I might be able to help him/persuade him to realise that dream :wink:

Peter, the main reason I asked about preferred body styles is that I don't see this next project as my "forever" car, and as such, could at some point be sold on to fund "that" car if the money and time was right, hence wanting to build a car that appeals to others as well as myself. For some time now, I've fancied the challenge of making a fibreglass bodied car look as authentic as possible. I've got a body being delivered Saturday and this will be modified to make it look more accurate, along with straightening the panels out. The bonnet and doors will be single skin, smoothed off on the under/insides, and fitted with a tubular steel framework, rather than a double skin. All four wheelarches will have a wired edge :wink: The chassis will be as per an original 289 with transverse leaf springs. Once painted, it should be hard to tell if it's an aluminium car or not, and with an original style chassis and running gear it should be about right, :wink:

Nige