289, FIA & Daytona topics
SiJackson

Re: Your Second 289?

Post by SiJackson »

I think I'd have to agree with Mr King. Although I have a hankering for an Ace, Mille Miglia style, I like a little diversity. I love my old series 2a farm hack and have a group B Talbot Samba Rallye Evo sat half restored. A classic truck would be nice, a mid thirties Leyland Beaver would float my boat. There is a serious itch to scratch by building a Lancia 037 Stradale too.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Sounds like we definitely need a sub-group for Series IIa owners now - that's three, unless anyone else has one?

That's a seriously eclectic mix, Si - I love the truck idea and having restored several old cars I take my hat off to the truck restorers. Where on earth you get parts for something like that, and then lift them once you've found them, is a mystery to me. I guess it ends up like the traction engine folk - the only people who have the facilities for it are haulage contractors!
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

Roger King wrote:Sounds like we definitely need a sub-group for Series IIa owners now - that's three, unless anyone else has one?

That's a seriously eclectic mix, Si - I love the truck idea and having restored several old cars I take my hat off to the truck restorers. Where on earth you get parts for something like that, and then lift them once you've found them, is
My father restored two Leyland Beavers in the shed and under tarps when I was a Bairn. Did quite a good job too as one of them won outright best of show on the 79 London to Brighton Commercial Rally.

As for Landys, can't get enough of a them. This is 'Mr Bumpy'. It's a one tonne fitted with an injected Eales 4.2 V8, five speed Ascroft box, Power steering and Zeus disc brakes. Took two years to rebuild. That's my ten year old daughter driving around the field in it. I'm currently restoring a very low mileage S3 109 station Wagon too.

amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Loving Mr Bumpy!
I've got a 1997 Defender which I plan to keep forever, but it might get a V8 one day when I've finished building the Cobra.
Andy
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

SiJackson wrote:This is 'Mr Bumpy'. It's a one tonne fitted with an injected Eales 4.2 V8, five speed Ascroft box, Power steering and Zeus disc brakes. Took two years to rebuild. That's my ten year old daughter driving around the field in it. I'm currently restoring a very low mileage S3 109 station Wagon too.

Brilliant. Now those are what I call tyres.
Just been down to the builders' merchants in my 88 - maybe I should christen it 'Mr Bouncy'... what with that and the Mini I won't have any fillings left by the end of the year. Too bad I retired...
Ashcroft 5-speed - interesting - I have a Roamerdrive sitting in a box but nowhere to work on it at the mo.

Sorry chaps, talk about off topic!
Cotton Mouth
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Cotton Mouth »

Trying not to lower the tone, but my other is a 1994 Ducati 900ss - twin cylinder air cooled with flat slide carbs and uprated suspension. Doesn't sound that much, but will lift the front wheel in second on the throttle - in real money that's about 65mph; Trust me, I wouldn't worry about loosing fillings, continence is what worries me.

And now back to the scheduled programme on ACs...........
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

Paul Blore wrote:I've had a couple of 900SS Ducatis, but mine were a bit earlier. They were both Mike Hailwood Replicas, one of which I had rebuilt by Steve Wynne, who built Mr Hailwood's race bikes. They were bevel drive cam shafts rather than the later belt drive variety. They're worth a lot more now than when I had them.

Paul
Now we are talking!
Please show us some photos. Right up my street!
Cotton Mouth
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Cotton Mouth »

The venerable old lady (think gimlet eyed granny with a whistling hearing aid and a tone of addres that would cut glass) has her belts off at present but will be making a reappearance in August when pictures will be posted. Perhaps this section might be renamed anything I own with a collection of wheels?

Cotton Mouth (in Malta and feeling a pleasant beer buzz)