How to stop water going down screen legs?

289, FIA & Daytona topics
James densham

How to stop water going down screen legs?

Post by James densham »

After 24 years of running my car I still have not found the best way to stop the heavy rain from coming in down the legs of the screen, as I had almost an inch in my sons foot well after 3 1/2 hour trip home to Dover in what felt like a monsoon?
Roger King

Re: How to stop water going down screen legs?

Post by Roger King »

Butyl strip (e.g. 3M 5313) around the screen legs where they enter the bodywork, hidden by the aluminium escutcheon.
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Did they have 'whatever it was you wrote' in 1962 Roger? They probably didn't have 'Blue Tack' either, but I find it works just as well James.
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I filled the gap between the leg and the body with silicone before bolting down the escutcheon plate.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Butyl tape was used all over the early Mustangs as a sealer, so I suspect it was around in '62. Probably not used by AC, though. 'Our' cars in period would have let water in all over the place when new, but this seems not to be acceptable these days.
Silicone sealer would work for a while but I try not to get silicone anywhere near my cars' paintwork for obvious reasons.
DO NOT use Sikkaflex, Tigerseal or any other PU sealant if you ever want to be able to remove your windscreen again!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

OK I'll show my ignorance
What does silicone do to the paintwork as I haven't seen any issues yet and it been there for 15 years.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Silicone won't affect paint but paint will not adhere to silicone.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Silicone won't damage existing paint finishes, but if any repair, repaint or remedial work is needed it's a real killer for a nice result. Not so much a lack of adherence, more a problem with 'fisheye' and surface tension issues.

https://www.kcprofessional.co.uk/media/ ... sional.pdf

To quote a CEMAG article:

'Silicone contamination problems are not restricted to the critical components manufactured in cleanrooms. In wood or metal coating operations, silicone contamination is a nightmare. Even traces of silicone cause primers and paints or other coatings to “fisheye,” separate, and lose adhesion. This is a particular problem in automotive refinishing, where silicone-based cleaning and polishing products have been used. In another automotive application, if silicone brake fluid gets through a leaking vacuum booster into an engine, it burns to form silica sand and quickly wears down an engine’s internal parts.4 Silicone can also affect rubber brake components.'

Must admit, the silicone brake fluid bit is new to me but makes sense.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks for the warning guys.
Peter C
morgy

Post by morgy »

I prefer the Don't take it out in the rain approach ;-)