Last Run of the Summer?

289, FIA & Daytona topics
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Last Run of the Summer?

Post by clive »

Well today might well have been the last big run of the year, certainly before the clocks change this weekend, but what a superb trip it was.
Having received an invitation from His Grace The Duke of Argyll, to attend the official launch of the Argyll Festival of Performance at Inveraray Castle, I set off on the 100 mile, two hour trip to the West side of the country. Well wrapped up against the chilly Autumn morning, the roads were a bit damp and greasy with a slight drizzle falling. Having seen the weather forecast, I had decided to go topless as Carol Kirkwood had promised a dry day throughout Scotland. The smirn only lasted for a short time and soon the sun was shining on what turned out to be a glorious day, although the roads were tricky where the sun hadn't dried the surface and the traffic hadn't been enough to remove the pine needles and leaves from the tarmac.
Arriving at Inveraray I was surprised by the array and diversity of cars and busses lined up in prime position in front of the castle, representing almost 100 years of motoring, but mine was the only Cobra on display although I did meet up with four other members of The 289 Register!
Following an excellent presentation and buffet lunch, everyone had the opportunity to mingle and blether with the owners of the various vehicles. It was a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon, followed by a pleasant return journey home.

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Last Run of the Summer?

Post by StewbieC »

Looks like a great day, I've got a run out today ....... To the MOT test centre ;)
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Good luck Stu.
Cheers, Clive.

peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Clive you obviously mix with a more salubrious group of gentlemen North of the border. I only know an ex local councillor and alderman. I don’t know any Dukes down here and I can’t imagine Lord March wanting to correspond with me, having said that he does get his minions to send me invites to the Festival of Speed and the Revival.
Peter C
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

clive wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:23 amGood luck Stu.
No worries Clive, passed with flying colours! Did my biannual change of the track rod end boots and exhaust mount bobbins before I went.
Rubber bits these days are shite!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

That’s interesting Stu,
I have only had to replace one rack gaiter in 17 years as it had some minor damage. Perhaps I will have a closer inspection although it passed the MOT in Aug without comment apart from a suspect rose joint on the anti roll bar connection, which as Gerry said was still far better than a standard MGB rubber one.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Well it appears winter has arrived. This morning there was a slight frost on the grass when I awoke, but it disappeared before 9am, however the highways department decided to salt the roads anyway.
Cheers, Clive.