Wheel for IVA

289, FIA & Daytona topics
simonjrwinter

Wheel for IVA

Post by simonjrwinter »

I’m planning on getting an MG Metro wheel (when I can find one) for the IVA test. I thought the angle of the steering column and intermediate shaft took care of the collapsibility element of the test, but I’ve seen some people using collapsible bosses......are they needed?
Thanks
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Wheel for IVA

Post by StewbieC »

It's a grey area this. I used an MGB wheel with an adaptor to fit the standard Motalita boss. I had the horn push from the MGB which is kind of collapsible. The horn push didn't function as a horn push but it "gave". My tester, who did all the tests in B'ham and I understand Kidderminster now, was fine with that. Does the current IVA manual state a collapsible boss is required?
If it does, I'm sure an insert could be made to fit an off the shelf collapsible boss to a solid MGB column.
John H
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Wheel for IVA

Post by John H »

Hi Simon
The unions that Gerry supplies are I believe are made to break under high load on the steering wheel.The union just after the foot-well would break and allow the column to move forward. I used an old MG soft rim but metal boss wheel and covered the boss in foam and tape for IVA. Tester was fine with that. He didn't actually mention the column at all specifically to me. So I didn't need any collapsible boss at all.
Built St Piran Hawk289FIA in Scotland!