Someone to IVA my Hawk

289, FIA & Daytona topics
simonjrwinter

Someone to IVA my Hawk

Post by simonjrwinter »

I’ve got my Hawk up for sale as I just don’t have the time to do the jobs required to get it through the IVA
I’d rather not sell it of course, so can anyone suggest someone (apart from AHP and Thunder Road) who might be willing to undertake the work?
Thanks
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Someone to IVA my Hawk

Post by clive »

Have you tried Talon Sportscars? http://www.talonsportscars.com/news They were, and might still be, official build agents for Hawk Cars.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

I think Talon went out of business several years ago sadly
Simon
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Speak to Gerry, I'm sure he has another chap offering build services.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Sadly, Talon was dissolved earlier this year:
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/05249941
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

That's a shame.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Still looking for someone to IVA my car. Spoke to all the above (including Gerry’s chap in Kent) but nobody seems to be interested.
Drop me a pm if you know of someone
Thank you
Simon
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

The BIVA test is for amatuer builders and not for professional car builders. A FULLY pro built car has to go for the stricter IVA not the Amateur Built BIVA. The "B" in BIVA meaning "Basic". It is possible to have a rolling chassis built for the customer to finish the build and still go for BIVA. It is also possible to have your amateur built car "final prepped" for BIVA by a professional. However, it is the degree of professional assistance that can sometimes cause a problem, as you must provide photographic evidence, as the amatuer builder, that you did, in fact, build the majority of the car yourself.

To qualify for BIVA, you need a photographic history of the build, from the beginning, showing the amateur building the car, but without this it would be a struggle to get a car to pass the test. This is a major problem for anyone buying a partly built car. Anyone buying a partly built car, will find that they can't prove that they built it, and therefore are unable to supply the necessary information to pass BIVA. The only way around this is to strip the car down to its basic components and rebuild it again with photographic evidence showing the new amateur builder, building it

Nige
Last edited by agnoraan on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Hi Nige,

That’s interesting, I’ve never even heard of BIVA, I just assumed everyone’s car went through the same IVA test. How do the two tests differ? On the declaration forms there is a specific section for cars not built by the owner but by someone “not in the business of building cars” so I always presumed it wasn’t an issue......
Simon
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Hi Simon, I've a bit more spare time to try and clarify things a bit better,

BIVA (Basic Individual Vehicle Approval) is the category that amateur built kit cars fall into for testing, it's just that a lot of people shorten it to IVA, which can confuse people if they're not aware of this. This test is for amateur builders to be able to have their cars tested for compliance and subsequent registration for the road. The application is made through DVSA, who require a load of forms to be completed along with photographs showing the amatuer builder, building the car. If satisfied with the information and photos, they will then ask for the vehicle to be sent to a VOSA station for the BIVA test.

If you were to buy a partly built car, then you would need to supply photographs to DVSA of the amateur builder assembling the car up to the point of being sold and purchased by the new owner. They would also require a declaration from the seller saying that he was an amateur and had completed the work up to the stage of sale. From that point onwards, the new owner would continue the build, again taking photographs, and then send off the application forms, previous owners declaration and photos to DVSA. If they're happy, then it's off to the test centre for the BIVA test. There's only one small office dealing with this and they are all working in conjunction with each other, if they suspect anything unscrupulous then a test will be refused

You can have a certain amount of work carried out by a professional/garage as I suggested previously. Again, photographic evidence is needed, however, the majority of the work should be completed by the amateur builder/owner of the car.

At the time of test, the tester can ask for photos of certain parts of the build if he requires more information as to how something has been fabricated/made to function, that is not totally visible to the eye. It's therefore important to have full photgraphic evidence of every stage of the build, just in case.

As you say, "On the declaration forms there is a specific section for cars not built by the owner but by someone “not in the business of building cars” . This is true as mentioned, but this is for COMPLETE builds. If they haven't built the WHOLE car, then photographic evidence of the amateur building it up to the point where the professional took over would be required. This is to stop professional car builders trying to sneak cars for the more lenient amatuer BIVA test via deceptive means. The amount of work that the professional can carry out is open to debate, as there are no firm guidelines to this. But, bear in mind that this is supposed to be an amateur build and the amount of work done should substantiate this.

If the car is completely built by a professional car builder, then it falls under the NIVA test, (Normal Individiual Vehicle Approval). For NIVA, the car must comply with current emmissions standards (Euro 6) which would mean that the engine should be new, run catalytic converters and probably fuel injection to be able to comply.

Hope that helps
NIge
Last edited by agnoraan on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.