Someone to IVA my Hawk

289, FIA & Daytona topics
simonjrwinter

Re: Someone to IVA my Hawk

Post by simonjrwinter »

Nige,
Interesting so no professional builder is able to build any car with (say) a 302 or 427 engine?
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Not if it's to go through NIVA and can't pass emissions

Nige
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Nige, do you have any links to BIVA? I have searched the GOV.UK website and all I can find is IVA. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ategory-m1
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Hi Clive, as mentioned previously, the IVA test for cars is split into two tests, BASIC (BIVA) or NORMAL (NIVA). Amateur builds come under BIVA. Most amateur builders in "the scene" tend to refer to the test as a BIVA.

If you continue further down on the link you posted, you'll find mention of these two tests, I've posted a very brief outline below taken from this document :-

Approval Process
The IVA scheme for ‘M1 vehicles’ applies to
 M1 Basic
 M1 Normal
There are two levels of compliance; Basic and Normal.
1. The Basic IVA
This requires a visual inspection of the vehicle to assess its design and construction characteristics against the key EC technical areas and in most
cases documentary evidence of compliance is not normally required except for certain areas such as Gaseous Fuel tanks.
A vehicle subject to Basic IVA Requirements is either:
(a) a left hand drive vehicle; (Vehicle Class N)
(b) a personally imported vehicle; (Vehicle Class P)
(c) an amateur built vehicle; (Vehicle Class A)
(d) a vehicle manufactured in very low volume; (Vehicle Class L)
(e) a vehicle manufactured using parts of a registered vehicle; (Vehicle Class C)
(f) a rebuilt vehicle; (Vehicle Class S)
(g) a motor caravan as defined in Annex II.A of the 2007 Directive; (Vehicle Class M)
(h) an ambulance as defined in Annex II.A of the 2007 Directive; (Vehicle Class M)
(i) a hearse as defined in Annex II.A of the 2007 Directive; (Vehicle Class M)
(j) an armoured vehicle as defined in Annex II.A of the 2007 Directive. (Vehicle Class T)
Foreword
Revision: 12 Date: 01/07/2018 3 of 14
2. The Normal IVA
This requires the supply of documentary evidence to prove compliance with up to 12 key areas of EC Directives as listed in the Normal IVA General
requirements section. Compliance with alternative standards may be acceptable where specified. Other areas will be subject to the same requirements
as Basic IVA.
A vehicle subject to Normal IVA requirements is either:
(a) A vehicle not meeting any Basic IVA vehicle class and therefore requiring Normal IVA; (Vehicle Class R) or
(b) European Approved to the IVA standard of a Member State; (Vehicle class E)
In addition to being one of the vehicle classes in 1 or 2 above a Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle is also Vehicle Class W.
The standards applicable to Normal IVA are those given in the relevant sections of this manual. In most cases these are dependent on the vehicle’s date
of manufacture.
For Normal IVA the onus is on the applicant to provide evidence of compliance. This may be in the form of:
 manufacturer’s markings on the vehicle,
 an EC certificate of conformity for an incomplete or base vehicle and details of the systems approved,
 documentary evidence from the competent authority in the country of origin or the manufacturer,
 submission of a VIN specific test report from an accredited testing authority or a combination of such elements, and
 it may also include a degree of visual examination and practical tests.
Notes
Applicants may be required to dismantle specific parts of the vehicle to allow DVSA examiners to complete a full inspection.
Applications together with any supporting documentation will be assessed prior to the issue of an appointment for inspection.

Here's a link to a build thread that might interest some.

https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/topic ... iva-405393

The car in question was registered, taxed and on the road for 12 months and had also been featured in Custom Car magazine. It was taxed as PLG. DVLA contacted the owner asking for photos of the car as it should have be in the historic tax class. After seeing that the car was modified, DVLA witheld the V5C and told the owner that the car had to undergo a BIVA test. This is the story of how he had to modify his car to comply and pass the test. As you'll see there's an awful lot of hoops he's had to jump through to get a pass. This is just one such instance of this happening to modified cars, there are numerous others that have been caught. Unfortunately very few people admit to getting caught and tend to sell the car on to some unsuspecting buyer, who will in all likely hood never be able to get the car registered, for the reasons I mention in my reply to Simon in the above post. Unfortunately, this is also happening in the kit car scene.

Nige
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Thanks Nige, I think my confusion was assuming that BIVA and NIVA were separate to the IVA test and not just part of it. I had never heard it called BIVA nor NIVA, but I was aware of the Basic and Normal IVA test.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

I guess I’ll just have to finish it off myself!
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
Martin D-S

Post by Martin D-S »

Nige, you are a veritable fountain of knowledge!

Simon, although not particularly local to you, there is company in Coventry that appear the offer the exact service that you are looking for:- https://www.irntam-kitz.co.uk
Have you tried them?
Best regards, Martin.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I guess this is initially a message to Andrew.
Can you add Nige's info on BIVA etc into the Wiki or suitable place. Also the warning about needing photos of the build progress to prove amateur status.
I am sure this info would be very useful to others in the future.
Peter C
Karl

Post by Karl »

If you go to: www.jbaoc.org.uk/iva.html you will find everything you want to know!
Regards Karl
Martin D-S

Post by Martin D-S »

Martin D-S wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:33 pm Nige, you are a veritable fountain of knowledge!

Simon, although not particularly local to you, there is company in Coventry that appear the offer the exact service that you are looking for:- https://www.irntam-kitz.co.uk
Have you tried them?
Best regards, Martin.
Hi Simon,
Did you see this from me?
Regards, Martin.