SUNDAY OUTING

289, FIA & Daytona topics
kaiserbilly1

SUNDAY OUTING

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

As the weather was so good here today in Glasgow, took the 289 for a run. En-route I popped in to see Allan Tunstall.
His gear box is nearly fixed and just about ready to go back in the car, see photos below.
The other photo is of my 289 at the top of the Cathkin Braes, with Glasgow in the background.
What fun 8)

clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Bill,
Lucky you, and glad to see Allan is getting on with his car. Do you think he'll be finished in time for Silverstone?

I planned going out this weekend but on the way home from Callendar on Friday I noticed the voltage had dropped to 10 volts. On returning home I checked the alternator and found the belt was loose and thought it had stretched. On closer inspection and after trying to tighten the belt, it appears that the bracket that holds the alternator to the cylinder head has sheared so I'm desperately trying to fabricate a new one before the East Kilbride show next weekend! :cry:
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Hi Clive

Not sure how to help you wth this one, sounds like a job for a local machine shop.
Allan is so close to getting the car finished. I have offered to help him get the box back in. So there is a good chance, all things being equal, that he could get to Silverstone.
No presure Allan :shock:
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Bill,

Good news about Allan and his gearbox
I've managed to get my hands on a lathe tomorrow so hopefully I'll have it resolved by tea-time.
Fairly simple to make, I hope, a 1" round bar turned & threaded to 7/16" UNC on one end to thread into the cylinder head and 3/8" UNF at the orther end to mount the alternator on.

Cheers, Clive.

Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Doesn't Gerry have the alternator mounting parts in stock? He used to...

Roger
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Roger King wrote:Doesn't Gerry have the alternator mounting parts in stock? He used to...

Roger
Yes £55 plus p&p!!! :shock: I've ordered one from him but what I need is slightly longer so I'll try making one out of stainless steel first. I'm also desperate to get it sorted before the weekend :?
Cheers, Clive.

Hawk289

Post by Hawk289 »

Clive

+ Vat, I made mine very easy, cost about £10 :lol: . For the newsletter will do an article.

John.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

hawk289 wrote:Clive

+ Vat, I made mine very easy, cost about £10 :lol: . For the newsletter will do an article.

John.
Thanks John, being a true Scotsman I hope to make one for nothing! :P :P :P
Cheers, Clive.

clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I think I have worked out why it sheared in the first place, must have been the strap from the engine hoist when I was fitting the engine. I'm just surprised it has taken almost 5,000 miles to show up! :?

Cheers, Clive.