Rotary switches for wiper/washer

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Jerryedmans
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Rotary switches for wiper/washer

Post by Jerryedmans »

Thanks Peter. Is that the floor mounted foot switch? I did think of doing floor mounted but shy'd away as not much foot room in footwell as is. I Guess it could be mounted on the side wall also if it was not too tricky to push? I went for VW option as my first car was a Beetle and I remembered it worked well on the VW indicator stalk.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

No Jerry it’s not the Lucas floor mounted item which was common back in the 50’s and 60’s.
This is a switch located behind the dash and the stalk sticks out far enough to sit alongside the rim of the steering wheel. It tucks into the gap between wheel rim and door top.
I admit it does make getting in/out a little more awkward because when the door is open the stalk becomes a bit vulnerable to being knocked by your knee.
It is dual function of dip and flash.
Peter C
Cotton Mouth
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Cotton Mouth »

If you are thinking of the p6 dipswitch/flasher just be aware that there are two live feeds to the switch when wiring it up to provide dip when the lights are on and flash when the rest of the lights are not on. You will also need some sort of bracket to attach it to the dash - mine is fabricated out of aluminium in the shape of a P laid on its back - and you need to think about where this will go on the dash as otherwise the door will hit it. As to the wiper switches, I tried the Rimmer route and was appalled at what turned up (it rattled when new) and then had problems with the switch itself - probably the sort of handling it was not meant to sustain, such as being breathed upon. I finally used a three position wiper switch which did not have the correct park on it but used three relays to provide the necessary control to get park to work. If you were gong to ask how. there is a wing diagram on the net that is contained in an oblong surround that comes up if you search the topic. Clearly, this fellow has never used it as it has a short through earth in the first position which is where the third relay comes in - all of which need mounting off the side of the wiper motor on a bracket that is tapped and bolted into to place. It took me a while to figure out why it wouldn't park and why I had burnt through three park switches working it out over a ten week period - I do hold the record for the longest build and not finished yet - and I was so fed up with the whole thing I didn't write down what I had done and just put the damn thing on the car. Not hard to figure out when you know where the fellow went wrong. Good luck
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Cotton Mouth,
Sorry to hear that you had so many problems with your wiper switch installation. I admit playing with relays is definitely not my forte.
My TR6 wiper switch from Rimmer seemed perfectly good enough to bolt straight in and had the requisite park function without need of extra relays. As advised earlier my issue was merely the inclusion of the push to wash function that had to be removed to make it more authentic.
Ref the fitting the P6 dip switch I can’t remember any wiring issues but the concerns on getting the mounting position correct was covered in my magazine article. You certainly need to plan what else is mounted on the dash in that area. My hazard warning switch is mounted on the dash return flange and was sticking up rather close to where I needed space for P6 switch.
Ideally you would weld a bracket onto the A frame before installing any wiring but then hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Peter C