To paint or not to paint....

289, FIA & Daytona topics
simonjrwinter

To paint or not to paint....

Post by simonjrwinter »

Got my car provisionally booked in with a top painter for around October time. Trouble is, I’ve not got my hood or tonneau yet. Can I position the studs in the body (in the marked places) knowing the tonneau and hood will fit? Or should I wait until I’ve fitted the hood etc before it goes to paint? Did anyone else do it “back to front”? How did it go?
Any advice appreciated
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: To paint or not to paint....

Post by peterc »

The obvious worry is that having spent a chunk of money on the paintwork the last thing you want to do is damage it putting in the studs. I was chastised for not following Gerry’s markings exactly. Memory says that I didn’t realise it was that critical e.g. not realising they wold have a pattern to mark the hood, so I only took the markings as a guide when I fitted my tonneau. The hood came later.
So I think you should have the confidence of drilling the stud holes and tapping the threads ready providing you following the markings precisely.
Peter C
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I fitted the lift a dots before paint. The position is marked in the Gelcoat and there's normally quite a big flange area to fit the female fittings to suit in the hood or tonneau.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Jerryedmans »

I fitted the studs into the body first. Then you position the hood, mark where the lift-a-dots need to go with chalk and then punch the hole in hood to fit the lift-a-dot. To fit studs drill and tap the fibreglass as per the markings. The studs then screw in nicely.