New BRA 289 Owner

289, FIA & Daytona topics
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: New BRA 289 Owner

Post by amulheirn »

Migge wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:16 pm I used a angle grinder with a 1 mm disc. You have to tape the vertical straps together to get equal cuts.
Yeah - I was doing (from memory) 8 at a time. I made a wooden jig to make sure the cuts were straight, but wasn't very happy with the finish - seemed ragged. Maybe I needed a slower cutting speed.

I concluded I should've got them laser-cut, but ran out of enthusiasm at that point as I had more urgent jobs to do on the car.
David Large

Re: New BRA 289 Owner

Post by David Large »

My BRA 289, completed and put on the road in 1989 has a home made grille and a modified BRA dashboard panel. There were 2 of us building this car and the other guy was then MD of a foundry business which had a very competent workshop with metal and wood skills.

We measured and copied a grille off an original 289 by lying on the floor of the NEC with a tape and a sketch book. It was made out of brass strip and brass rhs tube and then chromed. It doesn't look terribly original but it has served the car well over the 33 years I have run it.
BRA included a piece of flat plywood in the kit which we modified and fitted in the car. We did not use or copy the original instrument layout we made up our own which is fine and works well.

David