289 street build recommendations

289, FIA & Daytona topics
henryevans

289 street build recommendations

Post by henryevans »

Long time reader...first time poster and glad to join in the forums!

I'm building a 66 mustang convertible. I'm in the process of restoring the car for my dad and am beginning the engine work.

He wants to leave the car 'stock-ish' but wants to wake it up some. I intend on using the same block for numbers but would like to make some changes since it needs to be rebuilt anyway.

Here's what i'm proposing and would love recommendations or indicators that I'm doing something dumb...

SpeedPro flat top pistons (.030 over +8cc) [part number H273CP30]
.040 head gasket
windsor jr 58cc heads
comp cams 31-110-5 (specs to the hipo 289)
RPM dual plane manifold
Edelbrock 600 cfm 4barrel carb
Tri-y headers
1.6 ratio roller tipped rockers

I was thinking of having the block decked .005 to help offset the compression loss from the bigger heads. Alternatively, I could have the heads decked down .030 to a ~56cc chamber. I could also bite the bullet and grab a set of KB116's...

Transmission is a C4 that I'm rebuilding. I intend to reuse the stock torque converter and leave the gearing. The car will be on the highway most of its life so I'd guess the main operating RPM is in the 2200-3500 range judging from what my 66 coupe does.

I already have the heads and would like to try and get them to work but am still open to suggestions.

Let me know what you guys think and thank you so much in advance!