CARPET

289, FIA & Daytona topics
richmixture

CARPET

Post by richmixture »

Ok Chaps,

Heres the deal, I am about to sling the carpet in the chariot, so I lay out the carpet and all that jazz on the louge floor, and I put the respective pieces where they should go, now then:-

How does one, firstly fix the carpet to the transmission tunnel - both ends dont seem to be finished with binding?

Secondly there are tow lonley pieces of odd shaped bits, with no binding at all, anyone have an idea where these go, i am sure not the bin!

thank you, kris
Kris
RUT220G

Post by RUT220G »

Hi Kris,

Not sure which bits you refer to exactly, however from memory there are two pieces that go onto the top of the rear wheel arches either side of the seats? Are these the bits you refer too?

Could also be the bits that go inside the footwells, immediatly in front of the A frames??

My transmission tunnel carpet also does not have any binding on the ends, but the rear edge will fit under the carpet along the rear of the seats (bound) but I am unhappy with the front edges as they do not seem to have a corresponding bound carpet to put under. I have some carpet tape I will see if I can get someone locally to sew onto the front edge.

I put all the carpet in with velcro as I intend removing them before the car is sent for painting then I'll probably glue them in afterwards.
Allan Tunstall
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Hi Kris

I think Allan is right, the two pieces you are talking about go on each rear wheel arch.
There are a few bits of the carpet kit that you will have to get the edges bound by yourself to give a nice finish. Try Coverdale, they are good and very fast. Also get a tin of spray adhesive from them, or get a role of double sided carpet tape from B&Q to fit the carpets in place.
Sounds like you are nearing compleation :wink:

regards

Bill
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Kris, as a general rule of thumb when fitting the carpets, I found that the edges that were not bound fitted under the bound edges of the adjoining piece allowing them to be trimmed. The only exception seemed to be the transmission tunnel. I glued the side and rear carpets with spray carpet adhesive (Available from B&Q) and the floor carpets under the seat are only held in place by the seat runners while the footwell is sprayed around the edges only so as it can be easily removed to dry out.
I also did not fit the carpets until after SVA and painting.
Also worth considering at this stage, especially if you are running a Jag IRS rear is to put underfelt/deadening behind the seats on the rear bulkhead to quiten the "Jag whine" especially if you are going to fit a hood.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
richmixture

Post by richmixture »

gents, and for the monachs of the glen, up in the land of the wee dram, thanks you very much,
infact it is not the rear pieces that are for the rear wheel arches that I am confused on, i would seem that it may be for the wings infront of the a posts, i will have a look with that
Kris
Wynterburne

Post by Wynterburne »

Hi Kris

My strong suggestion is not to glue any carpet in. when it rains I assure you it will get wet and you will most likely want it out to dry. Use industrial strength velcro wherever possible. Have you ever noticed the shape of the reare wings? That bit that flows so nicely down towards the cockpit also creates a nice water run .......

The only area I will finally glue on mine is in the drivers footwell as I do not want to risk it dropping and fouling the throttle - or brake - pedal !!!

Regards

Richard
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Hi Richard

Love your car on your last post !!
You make a VERY good point about not having your carpets fixed in place due to water getting into the cabin.
Those that run their cars in the wet know that water gets in everywhere, so it is a real advantage to be able to whip your carpets in and out.
Where did you get your "industrial strength" velcro from :?:

regards

Bill
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Bill,
Have your carpets dried out from Sunday yet?
Mine are still soaking but that's probably because it tipped down nearly all the way home and the hood leaked all the way round the top of the windscreen especially when travelling above 50mph! :cry:
Cheers, Clive.

clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

kaiserbilly1 wrote:Hi Richard

Where did you get your "industrial strength" velcro from :?:

regards

Bill
You can get heavy duty self adhesive Velcro from Halfords or B&Q. I used it to fit the "A" pillar panels, but after a while it came undone. I sprayed the Velcro with spray carpet adhesive and never had any more bother and the panel is removeable.
Cheers, Clive.

kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Hi Clive

Carpets are still wet.
The rain driving under the hood at the windscreen is a part of the joy of driving a 289, is it not.
Only to be matched be the inside of the screen getting wetter than the outside, and steaming up too :shock:
Oh yes, and then the wipers pack up too.
What fun.

Bill