Realistic garage space for a build

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Silverstonecobra
T289R Member
T289R Member

Realistic garage space for a build

Post by Silverstonecobra »

So the hard work is all done…after a visit to this years Silverstone Classic and with multiple laps around the Cobras on display, the better half agreed ( or gave in 8) ) that building a Cobra, a 289 in particular, would be acceptable :lol:
Having being given the green light an email was fired over to Gerry at Hawk, joined the 289 register and started to dream of what could be…after a few days passed I started to measure up the garage. Sadly I don’t have a nice large double, but a rather cozy single approx 4.8m x 2.5m with no drive.
This got me thinking, whilst I’ve dreamt of building and owning a Cobra for years is this a realistic option with such limited garage space? I do have a workshop separate to the garage which I’ll be able to build, store and recondition parts etc.

It would be a good to know if others have managed to build cobras in similar sized garages ? I’m looking at a 289 FIA so dimensions are : Length = 3937mm (155″). Width = 1701mm (67″).

Any guidance would be much appreciated

Dan
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Realistic garage space for a build

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Dan,
It's more than doable. The stages of build are Rolling chassis (which can be as complete as you can) including exhausts. Then the body goes back on, fuel system completion, brake lines completion and wiring, lights and onto completion. Check out the build blogs on the main site under Maintenance......
I'd consider 4 wheel dollies and if you get those that have a hydraulic clamp system it would be easier again. Then you can push the car from side to side to give you more space. You don't need them but it can take more time to do simple tasks and it can be tedious. It's best to build and test in gelcoat and the wings are more than strong enough to take your weight. I frequently lie across the body to get down into the depths of the engine bay.
Welcome aboard by the way!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Realistic garage space for a build

Post by peterc »

Hi Dan,
Yes, in an ideal world you would build the car with the body removed as it gives so much more access to to the chassis for brake lines etc. However due to lack of space I built my FIA with the body remaining on the chassis. It stayed up on tall axle stands throughout the build until ready to roll forward to receive the engine & gearbox. It have a fixed overhead beam for the hoist so the car had to be moved to meet the engine assembly.
I have just measured my garage space and the width from the front of cabinets to opposite wall is 2.5 M so yes, that’s the width I worked with. Length wise I have 4.8M from cabinet front to back of the next car. ( I have a tandem garage)
There may have been occasions when the other car got moved out of the garage (e.g. engine installation) otherwise I think I worked with the 4.8. You can always open the garage door on the occasional need.
For reference the body/chassis assembly can be lifted by 4 people with each one holding onto the wheel arch. E.g. the wheel arches are strong enough. They have a good sized flat return edge that you will need to remove and ideally create a rolled edge effect to mimic an original Ali body.
Welcome aboard.
Happy building, it will give you immense satisfaction.
Peter C