Rover V8 Quad Carb Weber DCNF Setup

289, FIA & Daytona topics
PetePetrolhead
Forum member
Forum member

Rover V8 Quad Carb Weber DCNF Setup

Post by PetePetrolhead »

Just in case anyone might be interested, on one of the TVR forums there's an awesome Rover V8 quad 42 DCNF setup for sale including inlet manifold. It's in Germany at 2,950 Euros which I believe is fairly reasonable. It's a private forum so the link below may not work for non-members, but I'm happy to be a go-between if anyone's interested:

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=565 ... 6197112000

peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Rover V8 Quad Carb Weber DCNF Setup

Post by peterc »

The IDF’s look rather enticing.
Does anyone know if the assembly fits under a Hawk bonnet when some gauze or similar protection is added to the trumpets.
Peter C

PS
There is a button to change the language to English for those of us devoid of foreign language skills.
Daytona Peter

Post by Daytona Peter »

Migge wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:12 am Correct IDFs
https://de.classiccarbs.co.uk/Produkt/R ... BCmmer-Kit

Or RAM with DCOE
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/21021185279?iid=352212232970

Have never seen DCNF and why?
I'm not sure why IDFs are "correct"? Has an original Cobra ever been fitted with a Rover engine?! I think in the day Shelby's Cobras mostly used IDAs? But generally on small block Fords I think.

Why DCNFs? Why not! They're a great carb - I have a triple setup on my 3.4 Essex V6 (in a TVR). They have the advantage of being pretty low profile as carbs go. And they're good enough for Maserati 😉.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I think we all know that the original Cobras of the ‘60’s had a cast iron 4.7 Ford engine. Those of us who have chosen to save 75kgs in weight and inserted an aluminium Rover engine instead of a Ford often choose to do what we can to hide the fact by adding items to make it look correct. E.g. I have Ford rocker covers. Migge has chosen to go further with quad carbs as used on the racing Cobras.
If the original Ford engine had IDF’s then why not add IDF’s to the top of a Rover?
I think the only issue is under bonnet clearance for air filters. Many make do with just a mesh but others extend the bonnet bulge to be able to install pucker filters. You pays your money and makes your choice.
I think the interesting thing about a collection of home built cars is everyone has a different interpretation of what is needed.
It’s no different to some wanting a 427 shape versus those of us who prefer the 289 shape.
Peter C
Last edited by peterc on Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cobraboy

Post by cobraboy »

Weber IDF carbs are not correct......... for a Cobra 289 street car.
Sure you could buy anything you liked from Ford's Total Performance Inventory to up spec your car, but a stock 289 HiPo motor came with a unique Autolite 4100 manual choke carb, with a bespoke body casting, and bespoke jetting, and booster on the primary side. Genuine original HiPo carbs are as rare as rocking horse poo, and command huge money.
I had one on my '65 K code Mustang, it was a fantastic bit of kit.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks Cobraboy. I wouldn’t argue with that info at all. Glad to hear there are people with such detailed knowledge.
What you didn’t know is that mine is an FIA version and Migge’s is a Sebring. I think he already has his quad carbs. I would love to go the next step and have IDF’s instead of my 4 barrel Edlebrock.
Money is disappearing on other things at present plus I would like the info on bonnet clearance before forking out in that direction.
Peter C
cobraboy

Post by cobraboy »

Weber IDF are for sure amazing in the eye candy dept, but in every other dept, fitted to a street car I am not so sure.

They are really happy at wide open throttle, stuck on the M25 for any length of time possibly less so. Also I think that you would not be passing many service stations.
A plumbed in fire suppression system would also be a must.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks for reply.
I tend to agree that it’s biased towards wide open throttle on the race track.
I’ll have to ask Andy Gordon how he gets on with his quad set up although I seem to remember he has an enlarged fuel tank.
I thought his only issue was the mounting of the fuel rail near to a water pipe which made hot starting an issue.
For some sort economy ?? Perhaps consider FI. They can hide that inside a carb looking body these days.
Plenty of thoughts but not enough excuses to tell the wife it car desperately needs it.
Peter C
Migge

Post by Migge »

You can use Weber IDFs for racing but for street use too. I have done approx. 12.000 km with them without any problems. They don't need full throttle. When I was at the Silverstone Classic a few years ago I was driving Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, France and UK. mainly approx. 120 - 130 km/h. The Cob just needs 11.2 ltr. per 100 km with that speed. I had on the way back many time just stop and go (London area and Antwerpen). No problems at all.
May you are confused with the Weber IDAs. They are for racing.