Show us yours ...

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Show us yours ...

Post by Dave Woodward »

Indulge me if you will. There are plenty of pics of our cars on the register, but very few of our engines. This is of particular interest to me at the moment and I thought it might be interesting to see what others have done with their bays (carbs, filters, dress, etc). I also know that many builders would be interested to see how others have configured their bays (often see questions re washer bottles etc).

... and maybe we could have an award for the most authentic bay, or the member clearly compensating the most :wink:
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Show us yours ...

Post by clive »

Hi Dave,
I have gone for the "authentic" look rather than the "Bling" one with the blue hoses, chrome parts etc. as per the 427s.
I feel that we are trying to create a replica and therefore all parts even under the bonnet should appear original.
I spray painted the inner wings with aluminium paint rather than lining with alumium sheet, and so far it seems to be holding up!

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Very nicely done Clive.
I agree with your sentiment re authenticity but having gone for the Rover block it feels a bit like the horse has already bolted and too late now trying to make it look totally authentic - almost cheating.
If only I could move that dissy!
Maybe I will just have to build myself a Ford. Can feel another project coming on and a whole new learning curve !!! Maybe I should just consider how long it has taken me to get this far !!!

Post by Roger King »

Sorry to dampen your praiseworthy Ford ardour, Dave - but the engine mount brackets on the chassis are different for the Ford engine. Should be easy enough to fabricate and position, they're pretty simple - but I thought it best to tell you anyway.

Roger

ps - I'll try to post a pic of a seriously authentic Hawk engine bay sometime soon (modesty forbids). There are two things you can't do: the transverse leaf suspension, visible just in front of the engine, and the backwards-leaning radiator, if you want decent cooling (only room for a very small one in the original position due to wishbone mount framework. I know Col's done it, but a bigger rad is more practical I think). Otherwise you should be able to fool most people.
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Roger,
Thanks for the note. I am aware of the different mount positions for the Ford but believe that Gerry has mad the mod in the past. In reality am enjoying the car too much for the time being to be seriously considering an engine replacement - still only 350 miles on it!!
Look forward to seeing your pics, though do I detect and air of competition already!!
Attached are a few pics of the current bay. Functional but in need of a tidy hence prior posts. Key issues for me are:
1. Ford covers - means I lose that oil filler cap so must be good!
2. Pipework to heater matrix - a mess.
3. Pipework between breather and filter - a mess.
4. Thermostat housing - a mess.
DW_Bay1.jpg
DW_Bay2.jpg
DW_Bay3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Mine's a Rover in a BRA so could never be anything close to authentic. Apart from the John Hammond Cobra valve covers, everything is there because of what it does rather than how it looks. Having said that, I like it to look cleanish rather than oily and manky.
289-17a.JPG
289-15a.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

The comment about getting rid of the dizzy made me think of this MBGBT I saw at Brighton. I think Wildcat are the people who modify/create/rebuild/bastardise, or whatever you want to call it, Land Rover Defenders for off road racing. Nice broomhandle.
WildcatMGBGT.JPG
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Old Boy Racer,
Those Cobra covers certainly improve the look. And where do the breathers go?
I guess thats a Chevy block in the MGBGT?
Dave.

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Dave,

the breather pipes (including the one from the back of the engine) go into the catch tank. The pipe from the top of the catch tank simply vents into the open under the car, level with the bottom of the chassis. The oil mist settles in the catch tank so nothing gets out.

Pretty sure the engine in the MGB is a modified Rover. If you look as this pic you can see where the distributor drive has been blanked off as part of the coversion to full electronic super whizzy stuff. As I said, Wildcat do serious Defender's for off roading so looks like they've cast their own valve covers as well. I may be wrong so anybody else able to confirm this?
Wildcat2.JPG
Migge

Post by Migge »

Wildcat is a very expensive rover engine tuner, e.g. special heads for the Rover lump.
Special customized BRA289