AC Logo wheel spinners.

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Pretty sure you'll find that the AC spinners (and probably the rest of the UK classic car market spinners) supplied by the retail outlets are made by Orson Equipment, whose website unfortunately seems to be in the process of changing at the moment.
MWS are in Slough.
If you are going to buy wire wheels from them, I would strongly advise that you either send them your tyres or buy tyres from them to be fitted. There are only a handful of tyre depots in this country that can balance wire wheels properly, no matter what they will tell you.
If you are thinking of buying chrome MWS wheels, I would strongly advise you to consider forking out more for stainless steel ones instead. My car has MWS stainless - the entire wheel, spokes, hub and rim. They are not cheap, but I have not cleaned the wheels once since fitting them (literally), 4 years ago. Have a look at Silverstone if you're interested.

Roger
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Roger,
Thanks for the information, I will give Orson Equipment a ring on Monday and see if they are willing to give us a quote.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

P.s. - and I promise not to clean them before I go, so you can tell.
(Thank God, another job I've got out of doing).

R
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Clive

Here are Orsons contact details

Orson Equipment Ltd
Unit 8, Peartree Industrial Park
Crackley Way, off Peartree Lane,
Dudley, West Midlands DY2 0UW
England +44-1384-241717
+44-1384-240403
sales@orson-equipment.com
http://www.orson-equipment.com

regards

Bill :D
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Thanks Bill,
Got it on Google last night! :wink:
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

The man to talk to at Orson is Steve Powis.
AC spinners are coarse thread.

Roger

I will have a set of 4 from wherever you decide to order, please!
David Large

Post by David Large »

If Dudley becomes the collection point, that is easy for me, so i can collect and bring to Silverstone.

I'm not sure what threads I have on my hubs, they are 1963 (I think) MGB.

As regards balancing wire wheels, last time I had new tyres I had them balanced at MWS.

I find it difficult to understand why with all of the wire wheeled classics about that there aren't more people capable of balancing them........but there aren't I've looked and looked.

All the tyre fitters say they can do them but they cannot.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

David Large wrote:I find it difficult to understand why with all of the wire wheeled classics about that there aren't more people capable of balancing them........but there aren't I've looked and looked.

All the tyre fitters say they can do them but they cannot.

David
Reason being, there isn't enough local demand to justify the investment. A wire wheel requires a mounting cone for balancing, approx 45º seating surface. All modern wheels are face mounted on the hub. Balancing a wire wheel in this way is worse than pointless. As far as I'm aware, a modern balancing machine cannot take a conical hub mount.

Roger
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Gents

Pre 64 on an MGB spline is 12 threads per inch, after that it is 8 threads per inch.
Go to the MWS site, there is a part there that tells the tyre fitter how to balance the wheels & tyres.
I printed this off last time, took it to kwik Fit and talked them through it, all is well !!!

regards

Bill :o
Hawk289

Post by Hawk289 »

Roger,

I'm getting the wires and rubber froo get good MWS, as I have struggled to get good balancing before. Also looking at the price they gave me 10% :lol: on the order!!!

Thanks

John.