Realistic Hawk 289 build cost

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Michaels Garage
Forum member
Forum member

Realistic Hawk 289 build cost

Post by Michaels Garage »

What is the realistic cost of building a Hawk 289 in 2023?
I have the latest price list and build manual from Gerry but this doesn’t include absolutely everything.
I’d like to build as authentic replica as possible with a Ford V8.
How much can I expect to pay for a Ford engine and gearbox?
Also how much do people pay for a decent paint job?

Having built kit cars before I had considered buying a used one or part built and changing it to they way I want it as I know this could work out cheaper but there just aren’t any in the market at the moment.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Realistic Hawk 289 build cost

Post by peterc »

I am sure that there are members who have built their car in the last two years who could help, however you need to advise how much input you want to each item. E.g. an off the shelf turn key ready engine or something that needs some work. There would be a big difference to putting a car together with 2nd hand parts that all need attention to a whole set fully re conditioned.
Peter C
cobraboy

Post by cobraboy »

Message a chap called Roger King on here and ask him.
He built a nut and bolt correct alloy bodied car with a 289 HiPo engine and ALL correct parts.

My guess would be 100k +
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Of course the other big question is fibreglass or Ali. Hawk cars can offer either option.
Yes, I imagine 100k for an Ali version and half that for fibreglass again depending on extent of authenticity. Genuine 289?
They are becoming as rare as rocking horse poo.
Peter C
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

cobraboy wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:45 am Message a chap called Roger King on here and ask him.
He built a nut and bolt correct alloy bodied car with a 289 HiPo engine and ALL correct parts.

My guess would be 100k +
There are ‘builds’ and then there are ‘BUILDS’. Roger’s is off the scale and costing against that spec will deter even the most die hard of builders 🤔. Peter is I think closer to the reality for the rest of us though as already stated it depends wholly on what and where you source your components.

Post by StuBaker »

Where are you located? Perhaps a member close by could explain their build.
The Cars are all different and you'll perhaps understand why they are so expensive resale.
Check out T289R stand at Classic Car Show at the NEC or get to the Silverstone Classic, there will be 20 or so cars (and owners!) there.
If you check out Summit Racing (USA)you'll get a good idea of engine and gearbox choice and costs. They do new or rebuilt engines (Blueprint etc.)
Realsteel and Roadcraft in the UK are probably where you would eventually buy them - both great businesses. There doesn't appear to too many for sale private at the minute.
I will say whatever you do it will be worth it. I love my 289 even though she'll never be quite finished...
Big jobs I still have are LSD diff £1.5K, Gerry's IFS, £1.5k, Gerry's seats £1.5k. Correct instruments and gauges, £1.5k and my car is on the road making memories so you get the idea?
StuB
Steve M
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Steve M »

Hi there...

Current estimate range for my build is somewhere between £38 and £45k. The range is due to the block (289) being in the queue with RealSteel at the moment and waiting to find out how much work it needs.

There will be overs and unders against the estimate - a good example being I've picked up a set of 2nd hand wheels - but gut feel, is it will be closer to the £45k mark to get on the road (IVAd, registered etc).

Shout if I can help any further

Steve
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks for that Steve, that’s very useful. It shows us all what level of insurance cover we need. I know we never cost in our time but it does indicate the insurance value should be north of £45k.
Peter C
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Easy answer is anything from 40k - 150k with the authenticity slider moving the price up. It depends if you want bragging rights or something truly authentic. You can still get 289 blocks it's just most of them are now 2-3 times over bored, which can be risky when it comes to overheating. Original cars had transverse leaf springs, and the corners for those will Cost a fortune. Original cars also had 5 bolt 289 and T10 gearboxes also getting rare.
Earlier 302 blocks and 6 bolt 289's are very similar and all but the most in the know wouldn't know the difference. 302's have slightly more meat on the bores and tolerate more oversizing. 5 speed T5's are nice user friendly, narrow and available gearboxes. A well sorted GRP car from Gerry can be made to look pretty authentic without going too crazy on price and will be a valuable asset for the future. If you are prepared to do a great deal of research and sourcing of parts yourself you can save some money, but there are risks that things won't fit or will be duds.
Btw the biggest elephant in the room is the 3 year + waiting list!
Paint job between 6 and 20k. There are cheaper out there but be warned.
Last edited by StewbieC on Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by cobraboy »

Dave Woodward wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:57 am
cobraboy wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:45 am Message a chap called Roger King on here and ask him.

My guess would be 100k +
There are ‘builds’ and then there are ‘BUILDS’. Roger’s is off the scale and costing against that spec will deter even the most die hard of builders 🤔. Peter is I think closer to the reality for the rest of us though as already stated it depends wholly on what and where you source your components.
The man said - " I’d like to build as authentic replica as possible "