Advice at Silverstone

289, FIA & Daytona topics
David_W

Advice at Silverstone

Post by David_W »

Hi all,

I've been hoping to build a Hawk for several years now, but need to retire to have the time! That's now getting close and hopefully 7 years earlier than what the govt consider a retirement age!!

I'm just been reading Stuart Clarke's excellent build story, which is getting me more fired up for the project. We've had the donor for 40 years as it's my wife's '72 MGB (Don't worry, if won't end in divorce, as it's been off the road for 20 years and she has a very clean '66 MGB now).

Although I'm quite technical and keep a number of classics running, I'm certainly no mechanic. I'm fine with fitting all the ancillary parts around an engine, wiring, interiors etc. but I've never stripped an engine down and can't "knock up a bracket for this and that" in the way Stuart seemed to many times in his story!

Anyway, I'll be at the Silverstone Festival (nee Classic) at the end of the month, either in my modern Mustang or my daughter's '67 Coupe (Yes it's a 289, but she won't give me the engine!) Last year the Mustang Owners Club was opposite the 289 Register, so I checked out the cars and chatted with some of the owners. But this year, I'd be grateful if one of you could spare me a little longer to discuss what to expect if I embark on the project?

Cheers
David
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Advice at Silverstone

Post by StewbieC »

Hello David,
We'll be there. You might want to consider joining the club as there's plenty more info to whet the appetite. It's pretty much the law to stable a 289 Cobra with a Mustang and a Land Rover for that matter, must be a leaf Spring thing.
Catch you at Silverstone
David_W

Post by David_W »

Thanks Stuart,

Well may daughter's 289 Mustang is up near Silverstone (she's an F1 engineer) and I'm down in Wiltshire, but the Cobra would have an S550 with a lot of GT350 parts as a stablemate, as well as a '57 Zephyr with a 2.6 straight 6 as used in the later Ace's. So they're all cousins!

Looking forward to meeting you and others at the meet. I will join and press the button on a Hawk order, once I get a date for exiting the rat race! Meanwhile, I need to finish your article. I'm up to Part 25.

Cheers
David
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I suggest you check the waiting list for the body & chassis from Gerry. It was 2 years but I heard recently it might now be 3!
Peter C
David_W

Post by David_W »

Thanks Peter, Yes I will do when I know when retirement is coming (that will involve a long notice period). Three years is extreme but something like a year or two will give me time for research,planning, ordering parts and stripping the MG. Will also look out unfinished projects.