Anyone near Carlisle, Cumbria?

289, FIA & Daytona topics
Michaels Garage
Forum member
Forum member

Anyone near Carlisle, Cumbria?

Post by Michaels Garage »

I wondered if there were any owners fairly local to me in Carlisle Cumbria who own a Hawk 289 with the correct seats in it, who would be kind enough to let me sit inside one to see if I actually fit.

I’m not especially tall, only about 6ft, but I went to have a look at a Hawk 289 yesterday and was really surprised to find how much I struggled to get comfortable in it.
The car I was looking at didn’t have the correct seats and it felt more like I was sat on it than in it. I struggled to get my knees under the dash and I was looking more over the windscreen than through it. I’m really hoping this was just down to the seats which could be easily changed for either Hawk seats or maybe even a classic racing bucket seat to give me more space.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Michael
StuBaker

Re: Anyone near Carlisle, Cumbria?

Post by StuBaker »

Hello Michael,
Don't let it put you off, I think there are a few lanky 289 owners out there.
There's lots you can do to make it fit.
I'm 5ft 9 and three quarter's and a bit and my MX5 seats used for IVA were the same.
I'm making my own and I'll have them trimmed by someone else. My first effort is spot on height wise and I've lowered my dash an inch. They're just a bit basic.
Try the NEC classic show in November, there's a good few cars there. And lots of knowledge.
Michaels Garage
Forum member
Forum member

I am hoping to go to the NEC classic this year as not been for a couple of years.
I’m still keen on the car I’ve been to see but just want to be sure I can definitely fit and what seat I’ll potentially need to change to.
Still hoping I’ll fit with the proper Hawk seats or another classic cobra style seat.
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Hi Michael,

As per prior posts you can make it work. I’m 6 ft 3 in and have been a very happy owner since 2008. I removed the runners from under my seats which gives you an extra inch as it just needs to be mounted as far back as you can go anyway. Gerry will also rework the inner rear wheel arch to allow the seat to go back an extra inch or so as required.

Nothing that can’t be resolved 👍

Dave.
Forum member

Thanks Dave
Good to know there are options, I’m prepared to do whatever it takes to fit, even if it means sawing limbs off.
Thanks
Michael
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

As Dave said, removing the seat runners makes a lot of difference.
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.