Vulcan XH558

Other topics
agnoraan

Vulcan XH558

Post by agnoraan »

Such a great shame that this plane is being retired, I was fortunate to see it a few years ago and it sent shivers down my spine as it flew over head

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/vu ... ng-6391061

Did anyone see the documentary that was on TV a while ago showing the work and preparation that went into getting the Vulcans to the Falklands when the war was on?? Talks about planning :shock:

cheers...Nige
PeterT

Re: Vulcan XH558

Post by PeterT »

My father was one of the team who designed the Olympus engines which powered the Vulcan. During pre-service testing of the Olympus Mk 11 engines, one Vulcan was doing circles and bumps onto the runway at Patchway testing this new engine and its afterburners one memorable afternoon back in 1959. For those who remember the original A38 between Bristol and Gloucester you know it runs alongside the huge runway at Patchway (huge because it was extended for the Brabazon) and in those days there was a small petrol filling station situated right at the end of the runway adjacent to the A38. It was one of those old-fashioned filling stations with what looked like a shed for the office. On this particular day, on one of the many approaches to the runway over the road and the petrol station, the pilot misjudged things somewhat and had to pull up quickly using the full power of his afterburners which neatly blew over the shed and all three petrol pumps. There was no fire from what I recall, but I do remember a rather jovial father telling this story on his return from work that evening. Needless to say the site was removed forthwith and never returned. One of the few health and safety measures which had more than a modicum of sense behind it methinks.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Surely the Vulcan never had re-heat afterburners? The Olympus engines were only developed with these for the TSR-2 which was cancelled, and later installed in Concorde.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

I think this one was a flying test bed for what turned out to be the engines for the Concorde Clive. It's a long time ago now and I was a mere schoolboy. I know that my father was working on the Olympus Mk IV engines when he sadly died.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

The test engine for Concorde was slung under the bomb bay of XA903. There is an interesting article here http://web.archive.org/web/200710210318 ... oly593.htm
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)