Fun Day at Goodwood

Other topics
Paul Blore

Fun Day at Goodwood

Post by Paul Blore »

I spent a very full and enjoyable day at Goodwood Race Circuit yesterday, courtesy of one of our suppliers at work.
We started off with some go-karting on their purpose built track. We were divided into four groups of six and we raced in heats. I made it into the final with a fist and second place, but my weight ultimately put paid to any ideas of an outright win with a forth place. :lol:
I then got to fly a Tiger Moth and do some aerobatics, which was a real hoot. This flying larks easy. :wink: Flying in an open cockpit plane isn't too different to driving a Cobra in that you're really exposed to the full experience of the wind and noise etc. albeit a little higher off the ground.
After lunch we then got onto the main circuit with some familiarisation laps in some Afla sports saloons in order to see where the lines were etc. Following that, we had a big choice of cars to go and play in, including some single seaters and as I'd never driven a single seater before, I had to give that a go. We were knitted out with Nomex overalls, boots etc. and then strapped in. Once you get used to the tight confines of the cockpit, it's a great place to be and really allows you to feel and see what the car is doing. A couple of laps to get the slick tyres and brakes warmed up and the grip is incredible. You hardly needed to come off full throttle all the way round.
The other cars included and Aston DB4 and V8 Vantage, Jaguar D-type, E-type and Mk.II, Viper, Mustang GT350, Ferrari 308, 355 and 360, Lamborghini Gallardo, Porsche 911 2.7RS, Lotus Cortina and Elan, Corvette plus others that I've forgotten.
The 911 2.7RS was possibly the most fun apart from the single seater. It made a glorious noise and was fast enough to be interesting and it handled surprisingly well.
All in all a great day out and I took the opportunity to give the Dino a good run by taking that. :D
Goodwood is also where the company that flies the two seater Spitfires operates from, which are available for paid flights. They also have a P51-D Mustang, so that's something for another day hopefully. :wink:

Paul
Phil Riley

Re: Fun Day at Goodwood

Post by Phil Riley »

Wow Paul, that sounds marvellous! Does your contact want to supply me? ;)