Car wanderlust- what's your car vice?

Other topics
chriskcode

Car wanderlust- what's your car vice?

Post by chriskcode »

I've always had a wanderlust where cars are concerned and can't seem to keep one for more than 2-3 years... For example 3 fastback mustangs and one TR6 in last 3 years. I get them where I want to, then get bored and in the meanwhile think about something new.

Am I unique in always wanting something different?

Anyways I've been thinking recently that due to the house move down to East Sussex and the fact that I'm 50, will mean that I will have to slow down and face the fact that I have about 10 years to get all these needs and wants out of my system before I need to slow down and prepare for retirement.....

So my plans are to have 2 classic cars, one to run and one to restore at any one time. In no particular order the plan is:

Complete the TR6, but not full resto eg patinated finish and sell on after few trips to France
Complete and sell the '70 Mach 1 Mustang and sell it in 2016
Buy and run a 289 Cobra replica for circa 2-3yrs
Buy and restore a '67 Mustang and make a restomod, supercharged preferably
Consider buying a pre war car eg 1920's Chrysler 70 series 4 seater tourer and just run/use it for the hell of it
Buy something that takes my fancy, god now's what and when!

At 60 or above get that XK150 I always promised myself, albeit by that point, the price rise will have been meteoritic and probably beyond my means..

I hope no psychiatrist is reading this as they'd probably want me locking up, lol.

What are your car vices/plans for next few years?

Chris
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Car wanderlust- what's your car vice?

Post by StewbieC »

I don't have Wanderlust for cars but I think most of us have aspirations. I've got one more project in me but that's a few years off yet. In the mean time I've got a couple more things to do on the Hawk which include making the boot a bit more period correct and also on the engine bay. I may even look at a bubble hard top with a Gurney bubble to accommodate the roll bar. I may even re chassis the land rover and fit a V8. I do like old stangs but I also like the look of the new one for a daily driver?!? As to the next project...... Tornado sports cars are just down the road in Kiddy?!? :shock:

Re: Car wanderlust- what's your car vice?

Post by CobStang »

When I bought my BRA in 1993 I really did not know for how long I would own it or what I would do with it, recently I was considering changing for a Hawk and happened to mention it to the family only to be met with such an outpouring of hostility that I quickly realised that I was keeping it !
Mind you it is comprehensively sorted now so I don't mind, I love it. The car has acquired just the right amount of scruffiness to be practical in any situation without worry.
On the other hand my 1965 K code GT fastback Mustang sits in the garage rarely used, after a 5yr period of gentle restoration and gathering of unique HiPo parts to make it factory fresh I don't use it much, it has never seen rain in the UK and Snr management is not keen on driving it due to it being a left hooker ( she is happy to drive the doors off the Cobra !)
So wanderlust beckons on that one, anyone got something interesting to trade ?
Mark
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !