George Barris dead

Other topics
agnoraan

George Barris dead

Post by agnoraan »

For those that have ever had an interest in the American custom scene, George Barris has passed away aged 89. He was very influential in the custom scene along with his brother Sam at Barris Kustoms. He built cars for the stars, along with creations for film and tv, such as the TV Batmobile Munsters Coach etc. RIP George

Nige
Roger King

Re: George Barris dead

Post by Roger King »

I was huge fan from about 13 onwards. When I had my paper round, the owner ordered Hot Rod mag for me from the US, that'd be from about '67 onwards. Oh how I wish I'd kept them! Barris was something of a hero, though I know opinions of his work these days are very mixed.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

It was generally Sam Barris that did most of the bodywork and George photgraphed everything and publicised it. It's just a shame that in latter years he used to lay claim to having built or worked on cars when he evidently hadn't. A case in point being the Monkeemobile. It was well documented thatb Dean Jeffries built it, but in later years George Barris laid claim to building it, quite why he would do this on regular occasions is beyond me. The Hirohata Merc that the Barris' built is one of my all time favourite cars and to think that this was a brand new car that they cut up and transformed

A relatively standard Mercury

The Bob Hirohata Mercury which included pretty much all of the customising techniques such as chopped roof, made pillarless, nosed, decked, fadeaway doors etc

cheers...Nige
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Yeah, he also made some right horrible creations too :P

cheers...Nige
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

How can anything with 6 351 V8s be horrible? Awesome, yes...
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

...Trying to persuade Sue that it`s an economical vehicle, if each engine does 8mpg, and there are 6 of them, that`s 42MPG!!! :lol: :oops:

I`ll get my coat.

:roll:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

nikbj68 wrote:...Trying to persuade Sue that it`s an economical vehicle, if each engine does 8mpg, and there are 6 of them, that`s 42MPG!!! :lol: :oops:

I`ll get my coat.

:roll:

Make sure it's a warm one. What happened to the other 6mpg?
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Roger King wrote:How can anything with 6 351 V8s be horrible? Awesome, yes...
It looks like a load of coffins glued together and the write up on it was total tripe :wink: :lol:

cheers..Nige
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Now this is a six wheeler with style, the old Wolfrace Sonic with twin V8 engines that actually worked and drove :P Built by Nick Butler at Auto Imagination back in the '80's