Dellorto carbs

Other topics
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger King

Re: Dellorto carbs

Post by Roger King »

You know, I'm not convinced you should be making carburettor choices based on looks and sound!!!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Roger King wrote:You know, I'm not convinced you should be making carburettor choices based on looks and sound!!!
Rubbish Roger. We're talking about Cobras here, very few, if any decisions are made based on pure logic or reason. :lol:

I'd love a set of Webers on mine, sitting on the special angled inlet manifold. Mmmmmmm :mrgreen:
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Ah well, I've pulled the trigger, they're mine :lol:

cheers...Nige
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

PaulB wrote:
Roger King wrote:You know, I'm not convinced you should be making carburettor choices based on looks and sound!!!
Rubbish Roger. We're talking about Cobras here, very few, if any decisions are made based on pure logic or reason. :lol:

I'd love a set of Webers on mine, sitting on the special angled inlet manifold. Mmmmmmm :mrgreen:
Paul, I absolutley agree, when has a Cobra ever been practical??!.;-) :-P
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

agnoraan wrote:
PaulB wrote:

Paul, I absolutley agree, when has a Cobra ever been practical??!.;-) :-P
Well, I suppose I have to resist suggesting it has nothing to do with practicality... just better performance, reliability and longevity of the engine...

...I know, I learnt the hard way at 17 when I fitted a 2" Jag SU on my bog standard Morris Traveller's 948cc motor, complete with 1 1/4" bore inlet manifold. Looked fantastic with a big, polished ally trumpet, made a great induction roar...... but you can guess the rest.

Don't remember ever seeing a period pic of a 289 with Dell'Ortos?
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Roger King wrote:
agnoraan wrote:
PaulB wrote:

Don't remember ever seeing a period pic of a 289 with Dell'Ortos?
I'm sure you didn't Roger, any more than you would have seen a period pic of a fibreglassed bodied, Hawk chassied, or Rover powered one either, but it hasn't stopped people building them, or, more importantly having fun with them :wink: .

I just fancy the idea of quad downdraughts and found a set for, what I considered to be a very fair price, so I'll fit them and see how it drives. Quite a few people have now told me they can return high 20's to the gallon on an RV8, so that's not bad. Either way, when you open the bonnet and see a set of quad downdraughts, it gives the engine a more period look, regardless of whether they're Dellortos or Webers. Very few people outside the "Cobra world" would know the difference anyway, but they certainly add to the look of the engine in my opinion. If I like them then they'll stay, if not then I'll take them off. If people like them, that's fine, if they don't, then I really don't care, as I'm modifying this car for me and no-one else :D .

It's all just horses for courses and down to personal tastes and that's no bad thing, otherwise the automotive world would be a pretty dull place

cheers..Nige
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

...which is exactly what the whole game's about!

R
Migge

Post by Migge »

Nige,

Emailed you yesterday.

Wrong car, wrong material, wrong engine, wrong axles, wrong, wrong, wrong........

Dellortos seem to be fine with the "wrong" cars.

Of course not with original ones.
Special customized BRA289
289 Baz

Post by 289 Baz »

I run Webers on my 289, mpg wasn't to bad on the Italy trip, it will take a lot of time to set up spot on, best go to a rolling road. They can be set up at home ( I did ) if you can spend lots of money on chokes, jets, emulsion tubes, air corrector jets, idle jets, remember that you will need 8 of each size/type.
Barry