Investment

Other topics
agnoraan

Investment

Post by agnoraan »

A bit of a random question this, but if you had a reasonable amount of money to invest in a car what car or cars would you choose and why? I'm talking of a sum up to £100K. Or, do you think that the bottom could fall out of the collectors car market and want to invest in something else?

cheers...Nige
Maxakarudy

Re: Investment

Post by Maxakarudy »

Hi Nige,

S1 E types are still good solid investments, Aston Martin V8's are rising nicely and early 911's too, so a 100k would get you 2 of these, so as to spread the risk, I wouldn't put all of it into one car.
However, I don't know many people with 100k to play with and if it were me I might make a few cheeky offers on cars in the 150k price bracket and see what happens :D, there is no fixed price on any car, you make an offer, it's accepted or turned down.
Classic auctions are good gauges of the market, judging recent events, silly reserves aren't being met, suggesting the market is plateauing, although 'barnfinds' seem to be ever popular

Martin

BTW Merry Christmas everyone
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Personally, I could never buy a car and mothball it it's such a shame! If you were looking to do it, I'd suggest buying the most original example in the best condition and spend money on preserving it properly. Rare cars in good nick seem to have a track record in appreciating the most!
If I had a spare 100k I'd have a Cobra replica and a GT40 / Daytona Coupe replica and use them. Die a poor man with a big smile on my face! 8)
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Hi Martin, how are things going with your scratch build? I certainly don't think it wise to tie up the whole sum in one car, but I was thinking it might be worth investing some money into a couple of cars that are solid and in generally good condition, but need a little bit of tlc to bring them up to spec.

Stu, I'd be looking to buy something that could be used in the Summer months and stored away for the Winter time. A GT40 replica is very appealing as would a Ferrari P4, but will they really appreciate in value to any great extent that's the question? I've always liked Healeys and Daimler Darts, the Healeys are now fetching fairly strong money, but it's only now the Darts are starting to do the same.

cheers...NIge
Tapped

Post by Tapped »

An interesting question...

To me, I would have to go along with the view that the classic market is peaking. The signs are that interest rates may not be so stagnant for much longer and so tradtional investments may come back into play and hence the current penchant for dumping money into cars may dwindle

The prices of some cars have reached literally insane levels and have to be unsustainable. £45k for Mk1 Mini cooper s and six figures for boggo 911 that are really nothing special to me are signs that things have gotten carried away.

I suspect there'll be some burning on the way back down soon

That said, at the moment theres not much that investment gets a great return on without major risk...the stock markets seem highly erratic and the housing market is overdue a "correction" once the first wave of "help to buys" reaches the 5 year point and people who really cant afford the houses they've bought will have to sell

There's a cheery thought on Xmas Eve! As Stewbie says, spend it on a GT40 and nice Cob instead
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

It's a very interesting topic and one that I've looked at. I agree that from an investment perspective, get the best and most original example you can find and if your budget doesn't run to that for the make/model you're looking at, then you should probably look at something else.
I couldn't bring myself to spend £100k on something, but I spent half of that on a lovely '74 Ferrari 308. My view was that they've been massively undervalued for years and have recently made big gains. Time will tell how long that continues, but in the meantime, I'm enjoying driving and owning it. 8)

Paul
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maxakarudy

Post by Maxakarudy »

Hi Nige,
Re the scratch build, I'm still waiting on finished parts for the running gear, once I've got them I can start the build, hopefully it will be well under construction this time next year, I'll get everyone posted.

Still busy with the AMV8, I finished the body and trim restoration earlier in the year, now I'm restoring the engine, converting to manual with a TKO gearbox and sorting out brakes/suspension, so christmas is a good opportunity to get stuck in, I wont tinker on the 25th as its my birthday :D

Have a good christmas

Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

That's a handsome looking bruiser. :)

Paul
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I do like those, there's an old geezer in our village with one a green one. He uses it as his daily driver, can hardly walk and drives it like he stole it!