Newbie saying Hello!

Other topics
Burgess748

Newbie saying Hello!

Post by Burgess748 »

Evening everyone,

Just thought I'd post a Hello notice. :)

Have been interested in building a Hawk for years. First interest was way back whilst at University. Didn't really have the finances to do it back then, I went as far as visiting Gerry who I immediately knew wouldn't be impressed by me putting a half ar*ed example on the road! lol. 15 odd years later, Cobra plans having been put on the back burner, other cars having grabbed my attention, my interest in 289's was rekindled. This time with the piggy bank full enough to indulge in some toys.

The original plan was to build a 289 FIA in time for my wedding at Goodwood House at the end of the year, 16 years preparing racing cars I figured I could get this turned round pretty quick buying the majority of parts off Gerry. Now I'm not sure given time scales required for properly registering cars etc etc. so I'm going to entertain the idea of buying a completed car which I can then sort out to my own spec.

If anyone knows of any cars which are for sale please shout as summer is coming! (eventually - bordering on unlikely...) My ideal spec would be a 289 FIA, Rover 4.0L as I like the idea of the 100+kg saving over the Ford unit, Jag rear, Hawk Calipers, FIA wheels and Le Mans hard top. 302's will be entertained as will kits that need completing or tidying up.

Thanks in advance for your help and look forward to meeting some of you at events throughout the year.

Kind Regards,

Mark
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Newbie saying Hello!

Post by amulheirn »

Welcome to the forum Mark - and good luck with finding a car that meets your needs!

At some point you may want to join the club too, so here's a link to some information about that: http://www.the289register.com/the289reg ... ipnew.html

Kind regards,

Andrew
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Hi and welcome, and for fuller advice, as suggested, join our merry band!

Personally I reckon 28k for a decently-built Hawk is very reasonable indeed. I'd expect low to mid thirties for a car like that, the market is moving and demand is high. The silver one isn't to your spec apart from the engine, but also speaking personally I would go for a Ford 302 rather than the Rover. A lot more options on parts, gearboxes etc. but it's all very personal.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I agree with Roger regarding the engine. There are many people who have converted from an RV8 to a Ford 289/302 and many others who would like to do so, but I'm not aware of a single case where an owner has swapped their Ford for an RV8.....just sayin'. :wink:

While you can undoubtedly get decent power from an RV8, it gets very expensive, whereas it's relatively simple and cost effective with the Ford. Don't get too hung up on the weight issue either. A Cobra with a Jag rear end and an RV8 up front will have quite a marked rearward weight bias, whereas a Ford engine'd car will be much more neutral. To give you some idea, mine has a 427 big block engine with a Ford gearbox and Salisbury (same as the Jag) diff, but still has a 48%/52% front/rear weight distribution.

Paul
Tapped

Post by Tapped »

catsx11 wrote:Hello Mark and welcome
Price is a bit steep but, you've probably seen the silver RV8 Hawk for sale with white wall tyres on the eeBay (and probably advertised elsewhere) - could be 'tweaked a little to your preferences?
There are other's advertised, but watch out for how they are registered.
Good luck.

Yes, that solver one has been around a long time now. It's seems to be being sold through a dealer in its latest advert mind you.

I haven't seen an FIA for sale for a long time sadly, otherwise I'd probably have bought it myself!

There's always that MG for sale, you know the black one with the Cobra body on it :D

Good luck in your quest Mark!
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I think you could easily get a car through IVA with less than 200 hrs build time if you worked at it efficiently. I'd hazard a guess that lead time through IVA and registration would be 3 months. I took about 300hrs to build mine but it was mainly the non-standard tweaks that took the time. If you could get all the parts for the rolling chassis, they could easily be put together over a weekend, Fuel, clutch and brake lines in a couple more days and then powertrain and exhaust in another couple. Put the body on and you are nearly half way there! :mrgreen:

So my point is, that you need to build one if you can't buy one!

I've got the bits stripped, (suitable for a Sebring = Rostyle Axle) from a donor too for £250.00

Re: Newbie saying Hello! (again, but with a tour of an F1 factory...)

Post by Burgess748 »

Evening Everyone,

Reviewing my original post introducing myself back in January of this year, I gave out a large sigh as six months on I haven't proceeded very far with the idea of getting my rear into a 289! lol

With my wedding looming in six weeks, I thought I would appeal to the forum for some help. :)

My wedding is to take place at Goodwood House on the afternoon of Friday 12th August. I am willing to donate to your chosen charity or pocket for the use of a members car for half an hour for photographs and a drive past the house. In addition to the donation I am able to conduct a tour of the McLaren F1 and Super Car factory for the owner and two friends/members. I have worked as a race mechanic for the F1 team since 2008 and have recently moved over to the Automotive side. I will be able to offer a tour of the F1 race bays where the cars are built, a view of the super car build line and hopefully if my bosses agree, I'll be able to show you where I work in the Research & Development Dept.

If this sounds of interest to anyone please PM me and hopefully we will be able to sort something out.

Thank you,

Mark.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Mark
I'm free on the 12th and also happen to have a Rover 289FIA ( sorry not for sale)
Please advise the timing for the big day and hope that you have pre-arranged the sun !
Car should be polished ready for the Cranleigh Classic on the Sunday.
You can decide what monies you wish to donate to charity as I think it would be rude to demand a figure as you are offering the factory tour.
Suggest you send me a PM with the details.
Happy to meet up during July to discuss the finer points and for you to see the car.
Peter C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Burgess748

Post by Burgess748 »

Evening Peter,

What can I say apart from a massive Thank you to both yourself and the Forum! Your car is exactly the right combination of colour, period wheels and hint of brutal race car that I had in mind. Perfect.

I'll PM you with details and Introduction.

Kind Regards,