Help - my TV

Other topics
David Large

Re: Help - my TV

Post by David Large »

Struggling to connect my computer to the TV.

Everything fits physically and we have followed instructions on my laptop but the TV just says that it is not getting a signal.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Can you tell us what the model/make of your TV and laptop is?

Depending on how old they are, getting this to work might not be as automatic as you'd hope. There are even version numbers for the HDMI cables - the latest is HDMI 1.4, so that may play a factor, although I doubt it since you only just bought the cable it is probably the latest one.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Oh - and what version of Windows are you using?
David Large

Post by David Large »

My laptop is a Lenovo with windows 10 and is just approaching 12 months old.

My TV is a Samsung approx 5 years old with 4 HDMI ports, a USB port flat screen. David
David Large
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

David,
It might just be simpler to have a word with your neighbour and get the offending branches of the tree pruned back !

Peter you are right, but I get the impression that I will not get a good reception!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

What is it you want to watch from your laptop on the TV David?

I suspect the Curry's chap was being a bit of a numpty. :roll:
David Large

Post by David Large »

When the wind blows we cannot watch anything on our tellies because of the tree obstructing the satellite dish.

I would like to be able to watch anything from pretty much the list of things available to me when the wind is not blowing but I suppose all BBC, all ITV, C4 would probably do it.

Last weekend I had to watch the rugby on my laptop - just not cricket is it!
David Large
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Can your service provider not move the dish? We had the same situation and after threatening to cancel our subscription, an "engineer" came and inspected it and a couple of days later the dish was moved. No more problems apart from when we heavy snow or electric storms.

Hi Clive,

Over the years we have had our dish moved twice and the dish size changed once but we are running out of options on the back of our house to see around the tree which is about 60 feet tall now. The last time the engineer came he was talking about the only other option being to put the dish on the front of the house to change the angle of attack - but I don't want the dish on the front of my house, When there is no or mild wind we get a superb picture but when the wind speed rises and the tree moves about it kills our signal. Apart from that it is a very nice tree!

We only got our sky dish about 10 years ago because of reception problems we were having with our aerial installation, we are in a dip in the land. The dish solved it for a few years but the tree keeps growing.
Our service provider has been very helpful without being threatened.

I thought putting a cable between my laptop and my TV in windy weather would be a good, simple solution.

David
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Paul's probably right about the Currys consultant! The Chromecast thing should allow you to send anything you can see using the Google Chrome browser (e.g. BBC iPlayer or 4OD) to your TV over the wifi. Some details are here - about halfway down the page is where it talks about casting things from your laptop: https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chromecast/learn-tv/

Could you give me the exact model of the TV and laptop?

Can you also try dividing the problem up so we can work out what's at fault?

1. Plug the laptop into another TV if you have one and see if that works

2. Plug another laptop (if you have one) into the same port on the TV

3. Try all the HDMI ports on the TV one by one

On a side note: how was your IMI lecture? It sounded interesting. I was thinking of going to some of the events organised by these people:
http://www.engineeringclub.org.uk/next-events.html
David Large

Post by David Large »

Andy,

Thanks for your continuing interest in this problem.

My laptop is a Lenovo Yoga 213 running windows 10
My TV is a Samsung model no. UE37C6505UK

I have plugged the laptop and the HDMI cable into our other TV and that just records no signal either. We don't have another laptop to try.

On the Samsung, the other day I tried all of the HDMI sockets to no avail.

A mate of mine has a Chromecast thingy that he does not use - I am going to borrow that and see what results I get. The guy at Currys merely pointed out that the Chromecast thing restricts the programmes that you can watch.

The IMI lecture was very interesting - I go each month and they are usually very good. Mainly they are on developments in the motor industry and the one this week was about solenoid controlled inlet valve opening and closing (no cam involved). The quality of the presenters let it down a bit but the topic was fascinating. All about improving the efficiency of engines by varying the valve timing and open period by ECU control even to the point of opening and closing the inlet valves twice during the induction stroke.

Fiat use this on their "twin air" engines.
David Large