Other topics
Maxakarudy

Re: How to...Caster, Camber, Toe, Offsets and Suspension.

Post by Maxakarudy »

Obviously, this is just a fashion statement, like wearing trousers half way down your backside as suggested, unfortunately it shows a lack of taste, intelligence and cred, init bro'
Martin
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

I recall, (vaguely) as a 5 year-old, crying my heart out when I trod on my favourite Dinky car, resulting in similar camber attributes to those above...I`ll be damned if I`d pay good money to do it to a real car. :roll:

Roger, on the helpful parenting front; Mum sewed up my sister`s boyfriend`s 'designer' ripped jeans once... :lol:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

bet that went down well!
allan horsfall

Post by allan horsfall »

Should have sewed up the bottom of the legs!!! , but I suppose that would have helped my own 'grumpy old man' thing of walking on the backs of the trouser bottoms??, and then there's chains and torn T shirts and Grrrrrrrrr.
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Well, I can't think of any other motoring 'fashion' that has so comprehensively destroyed the dynamics of the base car. I can't agree on the looks - I'm afraid I think these things just look hilarious, if not stupid. Yes, we spend money on 'authenticity' - but so does any classic car restoration. It usually improves performance (and certainly helps to give an 'authentic' performance and dynamic), and definitely helps the value.
I don't think I'm the right person to be commenting on this, actually...
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Sorry Alan, I think they look ridiculous. I'm afraid I can't see past the nonsensical suspension geometry and tyres that are far too narrow for the wheels. They have to inflate the tyres to insane pressures just to hold the sidewalls out against the rims, which further adds to the disastrous (and downright dangerous) dynamics.

I passed a couple of cars like this on the M1 last summer. They were in the inside lane doing about 50mph and one of them had smoke pouring off the rear wheel arches where the tyres were rubbing, which not only trashed the tyres, but was also burning all the paint off. :roll:

Paul
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

I don't really understand it, but I'd agree with Alan that they're pushing the boundaries, and you've got to give them some credit for the effort that goes in (in some cases - not talking about this kind of thing: http://www.yourcarisshit.com/cars/ycis2494/). Certainly it is also true that (taking the long view), older generations have looked at the activity of younger folk with dismay and incomprehension since time immemorial. This is no different really in that respect.

I daresay there were probably many people in the early days of hot rodding that really messed up their cars. Years later, the only image we have in our minds when thinking of a hot rod is something cool like this: http://www.boldride.com/ride/1931/ford- ... es-hot-rod