amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Advanced motoring instruction - in 1963

Post by amulheirn »

Roger King

Re: Advanced motoring instruction - in 1963

Post by Roger King »

Wonderful. So many memories (I was eight) and all British cars - love the Series III SuperSnipe in particular. The Bear in Hungerford hasn't changed.
One of my dad's friends was a flash type who had an Austin A90 Atlantic, and he always used to do the headlamp flash and hoot the horn whenever he overtook anything. Don't remember any V signs, but I'm sure he deserved them.
That was a Coventry Jag (RW plate), probably a works demonstrator.
Last edited by Roger King on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

I do believe that's the first time you've used a smiley Roger (albeit unintentional!).
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

amulheirn wrote:I do believe that's the first time you've used a smiley Roger (albeit unintentional!).
How the hell did that happen? Never over my dead body! I typed in the number 8. Duly edited, I should have followed my Fowler's CEU and typed the word, as it's a single digit. That's what happens when one's mask as a pretentious old tw*t slips, just for a nanosecond.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

You`re not a Twit, Roger! :wink:

"He`s giving me the 'V' sign...I can`t think why he thinks I`m interested in his politics..." Now THAT deserves a smiley!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Excellent. Early on he said he was in the right gear but that tie looked a bit dodgy Mr Cholmondeley-Warner. How quaint that light flashing was considered acceptable whereas these days it could get you booked for road rage or stabbed. Gentler times, especially without the packs of middle aged, Lycra clad Tour De France wannabees weaving in and out in self righteous indignation at motorists who dare to use their roads. Whoops - pet prejudice revealed.
Robin
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Old Boy Racer wrote:Excellent. Early on he said he was in the right gear but that tie looked a bit dodgy Mr Cholmondeley-Warner. How quaint that light flashing was considered acceptable whereas these days it could get you booked for road rage or stabbed. Gentler times, especially without the packs of middle aged, Lycra clad Tour De France wannabees weaving in and out in self righteous indignation at motorists who dare to use their roads. Whoops - pet prejudice revealed.
Robin
Excuse me, old chap - may I partake of your rant?

The Council have just built a tarmac cycle lane between my town and the next village, about 2 miles, in the verge separate from the road at a cost of about 80k. Guess which bit of tarmac the lycra louts insist on using, still? Any suggestion that they might do otherwise is met by a 'Rapier' response, only more vehement.

Can we start a petition to require all cycles to be registered (with visible evidence), and to carry compulsory third-party insurance?

Anyhoo, my Dad's best friend from army days used to have an A90 Atlantic decades ago, a relatively fast car believe it or not. I remember as a kid being taken out in this thing and every time he overtook anyone he would stand on the horn 'just to let them know I'm here'. Why he didn't get thumped I'll never know.
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Roger - you may indeed join in my rant, as may anybody else with similar views. Last week I took one of my granddaughters to Cambridge and as we came to a roundabout with a cycle lane on the nearside of the road I was on, I spotted one of said Lycra Louts overtaking the queue on the outside ignoring the bike lane completely. I was indicating left and when a car on the roundabout indicated right to go around the roundabout I started to turn left. Said LL jinked left at speed to get over the roundabout before the car that was on it and came down my inside as I was turning left and shot straight over. I did indeed use the horn and he did indeed give me the Rapier behind his back. How I missed him I'll never know but if I hadn't it would have been Land-Rover 1 - LL 0. Except of course that I would no doubt have been to blame for daring to drive a 4x4 in a town. My granddaughter now wants to know what a stupid ars*h*le looks like. Anything over 40 in multi coloured lycra is the answer.

Robin
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Found one!!!!!!!

https://www.change.org/p/department-for ... m=copylink

early days, but worth a go
David Large

Post by David Large »

Should I declare that I am a 65+ lycra wearing cyclist at this point?

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!