Advanced motoring instruction - in 1963

Other topics
Roger King

Re: Advanced motoring instruction - in 1963

Post by Roger King »

David Large wrote:Should I declare that I am a 65+ lycra wearing cyclist at this point?

David
Please - I'm about to eat my dinner -
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Old Boy Racer wrote:Roger - you may indeed join in my rant, as may anybody else with similar views. Last week I took one of my granddaughters to Cambridge and as we came to a roundabout with a cycle lane on the nearside of the road I was on, I spotted one of said Lycra Louts overtaking the queue on the outside ignoring the bike lane completely. I was indicating left and when a car on the roundabout indicated right to go around the roundabout I started to turn left. Said LL jinked left at speed to get over the roundabout before the car that was on it and came down my inside as I was turning left and shot straight over. I did indeed use the horn and he did indeed give me the Rapier behind his back. How I missed him I'll never know but if I hadn't it would have been Land-Rover 1 - LL 0. Except of course that I would no doubt have been to blame for daring to drive a 4x4 in a town. My granddaughter now wants to know what a stupid ars*h*le looks like. Anything over 40 in multi coloured lycra is the answer.

Robin
I have seen so many squashed students on Cambridge's roads, I've lost count. One in particular had been 'undertaking' (an appropriate word) a truck in the city centre, hammering along in the manner you note above and, indeed, choosing not to use the cycle lane. I remember the chap I was with being surprised at how much blood could come out of one person. Truck driver severely traumatised, not his fault at all, just tragic all round.
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

David Large wrote:Should I declare that I am a 65+ lycra wearing cyclist at this point?

David
David - you are only excused if you wear them indoors for recreational purposes and there isn't a bicycle involved.
Robin
David Large

Post by David Large »

Robin, I don't know - and really don't want to know -what you do for recreation in your house, but I don't wear lycra indoors!

Roger, after a career looking into and poking around in peoples mouths I would have thought that a good pair of industrial legs in lycra wouldbe no problem

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

David Large wrote:Robin, I don't know - and really don't want to know -what you do for recreation in your house, but I don't wear lycra indoors!

Roger, after a career looking into and poking around in peoples mouths I would have thought that a good pair of industrial legs in lycra wouldbe no problem

David
I'm intrigued - how do industrial legs differ from normal ones?
David Large

Post by David Large »

They are particularly good at propelling bicycles. I used to cycle between 60and 100 miles per day and a sadly now deceased cycling friend said to me "Its ok for you Largie, you have got industrial legs" -a phrase that stuck.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!