New club member - Russ Swift

Other topics
the289admin
T289R Forum Admin
T289R Forum Admin

New club member - Russ Swift

Post by the289admin »

Just heard that Russ Swift has joined T289R - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCXw-dIhaR4

Welcome Russ! I'd *really* like to know how you do that parking thing.
Roger King

Re: New club member - Russ Swift

Post by Roger King »

...yes... just, please don't do it with 2030!

Welcome, Russ. As in our previous discussions, please feel free to ask away with any questions.

Roger
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Yes, welcome aboard, Russ, you'll find a decent bunch of really enthusiastic devotees here!
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
swiftruss

Post by swiftruss »

Many thanks for the welcome and help and assistance I've received so far. I'm on a mission to restore CS2030 to its former elegance after some time in the doldrums. The car is an important part of Cobra history and I intend to do the car justice. As far as I have been able to establish CS2030 was the first British registered Cobra, the first right hand drive Cobra and the first rack and pinon Cobra. It was one of only 75 260 models and one of only 3 Shelby Cobras produced in right hand drive. The car was the factory demonstrator and development car and was used as personal transport by the Hurlock family during its year long ownership by AC. It was tested and appraised by Stirling Moss and driven to the 1963 Le Mans Race by Derek Hurlock and Phil Remington. "Doctored" pictures of CS2030 are featured in the chassis handbook and sales brochure. I have a picture of the car on a motor show stand which may be Earls Court but that is yet to be verified. It is featured in most of the books on Cobra and I believe that it is probably the oldest Cobra currently in UK.

The car was damaged in the late 60's and repaired cheaply, I intend to do everything possible to restore it to as close to original spec as possible. I know some parts will be very difficult to source but with help like I have received so far I feel it will be possible. The enthusiasm shown for the project so far by everyone in the Cobra community has been incredible. Thanks again for your support
Phil Riley

Post by Phil Riley »

Hi Russ,
Sounds like you're doing all the things your fab car deserves.
Besides the AC Cobra Coupe (A98), font of knowledge and T289R member Barrie Bird, also owns an early 260 Cobra (CSX 2003). If you haven't already, it might be worth you making contact with him.
And, feel free to send me any material you think our readers might be interested in reading as your project gathers pace.

Cheers,
Phil
T289R News Editor
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Welcome Russ - and glad to see on the photos over at the ACOC thread on 2030 that you're a Landrover owner too.

Hope you can share photos of the restoration some time via the newsletter or something!

Cheers,

Andrew
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi Russ,

I know we've already exchanged a few emails, but I'd like to welcome you to the club and I'm delighted that you've found your way to the forum. It's not the busiest forum in the 'net, but the content is generally very high quality without any of the petty squabbling that takes place on so many other Internet forums.

Hopefully I'll get to meet you in person sometime during the course of the year.

Regards,
Paul
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

Hi Russ & welcome. Nice to see another member from Darlington :-)
There are 3 types of people in this world
Those who can count and those who cant

DB427SC #006, 427 SO, Toploader
1965 Daytona Coupe ~ Sold
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

I`ve had a few photos through from Russ, starting with this one from Rinsey Mills` book "Essential AC Cobra":

This Factory shot shows how the Cockpit should look, and hopefully will do again soon:

And these publicity shots showing the early overriders dominating the rear view!:

What is the knob just behind the gearlever? Is that a "Select-a-ride" suspension control? Nice option!

More to follow...watch this space!
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

A few more period photos, and a couple from Russ of how the Cobra looks today: