Classic cars are not historic says FIVA

Other topics
Roger King

Re: Classic cars are not historic says FIVA

Post by Roger King »

Aha - that's another password again, isn't it? Just remind me...
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

No password required.

Got to the website http://members.the289register.com and click the "Request Edit Link" at the top of the page. When prompted, enter your email address in the box provided. This MUST match the one recorded in the database. You will then be sent a unique web link via email that will take you straight into you details page for updating.

The link is unique to you and can be saved in your browser favourites for future use.

Paul
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Well done Roger. :D
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

I think this is a wider matter than just cars that have historic status. As Paul says, there are original and component car owners in this club, and some other categories too. I classify them as follows (there may be more of course):
  • [1] Genuine 289s and Aces
    [2] Modified, genuine 289s and Aces
    [3] Kit-built car that has historic status
    [4] Kit-built car that has an age-related plate
    [5] Kit-built car that has a new plate
    [6] People with a kit, that hasn't become a car yet
    [7] Possibly, people with a car on Q-plates
EDIT: Just checked the forum/website/wiki stats - 35% of users are from the US, and 15% from Germany. These are the next two highest numbers of users after UK users. They constitute their own categories since they are unaffected by other legal jurisdictions

EDIT2: French users - 1.5% of forum traffic. Swedish users - 1% of forum traffic. Netherlands users - 0.2% of forum traffic. Belgian users - too low a figure to appear on the report.

I fall into category 6, and therefore the situation about historic status does not affect me I think, but nevertheless, things like this are a significant cause for worry. I'm busy spending a ton of time and money on building a vehicle, which could be devalued massively at a stroke like Roger says. Possibly before I even get it on the road.

The purpose of being in a club is not only to share the fun stuff, but also to have club representation in more serious matters. To date, we are learning about such things via word of mouth - emails shared, information from other clubs, the motoring press and so on. There was a recent (and poorly-reported) piece in Practical Classics about a private DVLA meeting with 'classic car clubs' off the back of the situation with the Bugatti Owner's Club and that letter that went around about re-inspections. It was obvious that PC themselves had not been at the meeting, and the piece was unhelpful, drawing no conclusions and resulting in more questions in the reader's mind.

The word 'Historic' in the title of the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs does not appear to mean that the members have to have historic status from the DVLA. A quick look at the members shows that the Austin Maxi club and the Cavalier and Chevette club are members - presumably these cars are not historic in status - just old everyman classics. So I think if this is the only body able to represent club views, and to act as in information channel back towards club members we should be members. The only other possible representative body might be STATUS (http://www.mmu.ac.uk/business/our-exper ... ise=status) which I believe Gerry Hawkridge is a member of, but I doubt they have as high a profile as FHBVC.

I think the club should do two things:

1. Join FBHVC. It costs just 42.4p per club member per annum. This would allow us to be more 'in the loop' as they say.

2. Appoint a committee member to collate information on legislation, DVLA, FBHVC and FIVA matters into relevant news bytes for the club magazine, the Wiki and the forum.

I'm sure there must be some member of the club who could take on the role described in point 2 above. For going to the occasional DVLA meeting they should be paid expenses. The club membership would benefit from this greatly I think - it may be boring but it is probably necessary.

I said initially that it's a wider subject than the original post that started this thread, so here's an example: In the December 2015 issue of Practical Classics, there's a small piece saying that DVLA have changed the rules on black number plates. Apparently they're now permitted on cars with historic status only. Since I'm trying to build a replica vehicle, this kind of information is important to me - even though I don't have a driveable car, I had hoped to get a black and silver 1967 plate once I'm through the test.

One more thought: I think a checkbox on the members database to indicate historic status is a good idea, but it will need an email to members to get them to update their records.

A couple of links of interest related to all this:
FBHVC News Q1 2016 has some information on the DVLA's meeting in September 2015.

The FBHVC's response to FIVA's statement

FIVA's press release

Have a good weekend all...

Andrew
Karl

Post by Karl »

(8) Foreign members, who have to deal with the different laws in different countries, on their own!
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Aha. I was just editing my original post to mention that, Karl - thanks. Sorry for forgetting you!
Our German membership makes up 15% of the site's traffic, so you're important.
Karl

Post by Karl »

There are also members in France, Sweden, Netherlands.
Migge

Post by Migge »

Belgium
Special customized BRA289
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Paul Blore wrote:Okay, I've added a tick box to the car details on the members database to indicate whether the car has historic status. Go and update you own details.
Paul
Hi. Would it be worth having 3 buttons for Historic Status: 'Yes', 'No', 'No Car/Non-UK/Not Yet Registered'? all boxes unticked indicating no information supplied, whereas now, unticked 'Yes' box could mean 'No', or not filled in.
(Mine`s not historic)

Assuming the worst above, What would the situation be for, for example, an AC Greyhound owner who`s car lost it`s Bristol engine 20+ years ago, being fitted now with a Triumph engine & `box? Seriously non-standard...would a Bristol engine & box have to be refitted to keep the car 'legal'?(Budget FIFTEEN GRAND+ for the privilege of correctness!!!) I`m sure there are very many owners of vehicles that could not afford similar 'requirements' and would lose the use of a perfectly good car!
Can`t these bureaucrats get off or case & concentrate on more important issues, like roundness and greenness of apples?!
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

nikbj68 wrote: Assuming the worst above, What would the situation be for, for example, an AC Greyhound owner who`s car lost it`s Bristol engine 20+ years ago, being fitted now with a Triumph engine & `box? Seriously non-standard...would a Bristol engine & box have to be refitted to keep the car 'legal'?(Budget FIFTEEN GRAND+ for the privilege of correctness!!!) I`m sure there are very many owners of vehicles that could not afford similar 'requirements' and would lose the use of a perfectly good car!
Potentially. But for your investment of 15K, you get to drive in Europe's harmonised Low Emissions Zones!