Classic cars are not historic says FIVA

Other topics
Paul Blore

Re: Classic cars are not historic says FIVA

Post by Paul Blore »

Good post Nige that should clarify a number of points for people.

Paul
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

It's a good post, but I think bringing up the 8 points rule confuses things a bit. It is unlikely anyone with a kit car will be building it on an original "Chassis, monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit) or frame - original or new and unmodified (direct from manufacturer)" so they lose 5 points straight away. For them still to be considered to have a 'radically altered' vehicle, they would need to be using original suspension, axles, transmission and steering - totalling 8 points. I imagine club members using MGB transmission are few in number - some Ace replicas maybe?

The 8 point count actually includes 1 point for the engine too (https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... d-vehicles), but one point isn't not a lot of help in most cases.

Just to be absolutely sure I understand - a Hawk 289 kit, with donor car parts from a 1960's MG but with a V8 engine (which rules out use of the MGB transmission - losing you 2 points if you wanted 'radically-altered' status) is classified by DVLA as a 'kit-converted vehicle' and therefore the 8 points mentioned above do not apply. All that matters is the 'two original major parts' rule mentioned here: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... d-vehicles - is that right?

If you've got a kit-converted vehicle, there are three possible outcomes:

1. Got the two major parts and used the original chassis as well? You should get the donor car's original plate.

2. Got the two major parts only? You need to pass IVA and then you should get age-related plate of the same age as the donor.

3. Got a motley collection of stuff of indeterminate age? You need to pass IVA and will get a Q-plate.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

It would appear that by the letter of the rules, none of the Cobra replicas/kits would get Historic status. The confusion comes as Roger suggested, when the different DVLA centres didn't know or understand their own rules, so it became a lottery.

Paul
Karl

Post by Karl »

When I SVA ed and registered my car just before the end of SVA (in Feb, 2009) there was no confusion or discussion.
First registered in the UK: Feb,2009, Plates from the registration year of the donor car. Everything went smooth and correct (Derby).
The times when there were two dates in the V5C were long gone!
Karl
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

That's one example Karl, but evidence from this thread alone clearly suggests that confusion still exists.

Paul
Karl

Post by Karl »

I agree Paul, that seems to be fact in the earlier days, but I would like to hear from people who registered their car between 2010 and now! I only know from Stu how his car was handled. I think some people still found a way to get a car not registered in the correct way. If everything is correct there is no other way to register a HAK like Alan writes in point 2!
Karl

Post by Karl »

Sorry, not Alan, should read Andrew!
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

Karl wrote:I think some people still found a way to get a car not registered in the correct way.
Might be just me, but I think words like these should be kept out of public forums :cry:
There are 3 types of people in this world
Those who can count and those who cant

DB427SC #006, 427 SO, Toploader
1965 Daytona Coupe ~ Sold
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I agree Paul.
An obvious question to ask - is Gerry a member of the relevant UK representative group. Also how many other similar manufacturers belong as its becoming clear that a lot of older car owners in the UK could find themselves forced off the road.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Don't forget - classic cars and kit cars are two completely different things. I don't imagine there would be any point at all in Gerry being a member of the FBHVC - he isn't a car club, he's a manufacturer, and by definition not of historic cars. 'Cos they don't make them any more. Gerry is affiliated to the relevant car manufacturer's body, I remember seeing the logo somewhere on his paperwork.