Classic cars are not historic says FIVA

Other topics
agnoraan

Re: Classic cars are not historic says FIVA

Post by agnoraan »

Roger King wrote:Don't forget - classic cars and kit cars are two completely different things. I don't imagine there would be any point at all in Gerry being a member of the FBHVC - he isn't a car club, he's a manufacturer, and by definition not of historic cars. 'Cos they don't make them any more. Gerry is affiliated to the relevant car manufacturer's body, I remember seeing the logo somewhere on his paperwork.

That might well be "STATUS" possibly??

cheers..Nige
chriskcode

Post by chriskcode »

I have to say that this news fills me with horror, whether I have a Cobra or any other classic.

As most of you know I've had a one or two mustangs (4 to be precise in last 3yrs) and I really fancy a cobra at some point.

3 out of my 4 mustangs had been modified in some way or other, even my stroked 289 K code. I bet most classics are no way near standard e.g. Parts no longer available, have to fit something else, modernised to make it safer to drive etc, etc.

I can see a problem for MOT testers as mustangs came with multiple options and I bet no tester could work out what was standard on a mustang, save for perhaps a modular 5.0V8 engine, of which i was seriously considering putting in my new 67 fastback project, but now reconsidering due to this horrific news.

We really must fight this, it's the thin end of the wedge for me, like to bet on its affects cobra's down the road? I certainly wouldn't put money on it.

Chris
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Well, C&SC have spoken to Rollet...

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/news ... 2016%20(1)

I can't say I'm entirely convinced!
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Huh... Us silly Rosbifs, eh? Mondieu. :roll:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

Euro organisation based in Brussels being treated with suspicion? No sh*t Sherlock. I can hear the sound of backtracking feet from here.
Robin
DavidP
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidP »

I would not trust anyone in Brussels as far as i could throw them. I also would not trust the EC or any other un-elected body.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

OK, some more insight into the FIVA statements here:

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/blog ... %202016%20(1

This is really interesting. Of particular note is something we actually knew already - FIVA has nothing to do with the EU: it is a worldwide organisation with a voice in the US as well. I particularly like the suggestion of FIVA's VP of external relations - that historic cars are 'used because of the pleasure gained from driving them'. That stands up as a definition a whole lot better than trying to define daily use, limited mileages etc.

Roger
Old Boy Racer

Post by Old Boy Racer »

You may recall that in addition to the "historic" issue, there is also a tentative proposal floating around that would essentially ban any form of modification to the manufacturers spec of new vehicles. This is not just a Euro issue but one also applicable to the USA via separate legislation. The backlash is in the USA was such that key elements of that proposal have now been changed.

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/break ... -proposal/

Robin