Car polishing

Other topics
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Car polishing

Post by Dave Woodward »

Anybody have any experience of DA polishing machines (silly question!)?

I've been thinking of getting one but there are so many on the market spanning a broad price range I thought I would reach out the group for recommendations. I suspect they are all much the same in the end and you pay for the label as with most things.

Re: Car polishing

Post by agnoraan »

Dave, a DA and a polishing machine are two different tools. The DA is a "random orbital sander" that takes various grit velcro sanding discs and a polisher is well...a polisher (also known as a mop) :wink: Go for something that has a variable speed if possible, as by dropping the speed down, it'll help with cutting back those awkward areas without fear of polishing through.

Something like this would probably suit you, though I can't recommend it as I've never used this brand. The price is certainly good and if you're not cutting back a lot of cars it should have a good lifespan

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferm-1400W-El ... Swv-NWYVWY

You can end up paying a couple of hundred pounds for a pro jobbie, but unless it's going to do an awful lot of work it doesn't warrant the expense

Hope that helps

cheers...NIge
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Thank for the link Nige. I'd been reading that dual action was important to avoid swirls in the paint and overheating the polish. This looks like a standard rotary. Is the DA option overkill?

Post by agnoraan »

Dave Woodward wrote:Thank for the link Nige. I'd been reading that dual action was important to avoid swirls in the paint and overheating the polish. This looks like a standard rotary. Is the DA option overkill?
Mmm, where do I start with this without ending up writing war and peace :wink: yes the one I linked to was a variable speed, standard rotary polisher. Personally, I find that the random orbital polishers are an acquired taste. I only ever use a rotary polisher, as when cutting back a whole car for example, I really like to "lean on it" a bit to get it to cut quickly. With the random orbitals you're not able to do that as it compensates for the speed used, which for me takes cutting back a car a longer drawn out job. As to swirls in the paint, I tend to use something like Farecla G3, followed by G10 and then a hand glaze (but used with the mop on a soft foam head). I then finish that off with some good quality wax. Once you've been through the various grades of cutting paste and wax, there aren't really any swirls to worry about. As to overheating the paint,..... that's why it's always best to have a variable speed. On big panels like a roof or bonnet, I tend to really crank the speed up and lean on the machine and it cuts it back really quickly. For the sides of the car I'd turn the speed down a little and then for the likes of going around rain gutters, door handles etc, I turn it right down so that the mop head wouldn'tr "snag" on it. Obviously, having cut back one or two cars in the 40 years I've been painting, I know what I can get away with speed wise on the machine. For a beginner, I would advise using a slow speed until such time you feel really confident with using one.

Sorry I can't really comment on the random orbital polishers as I don't use them, maybe it's me being a bit of an old fart and stuck in my ways, but I know what works for me :wink:

cheers...Nige
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Understood. Thanks for the guidance and clarity :D

Dave.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

You polish a 289? I don't think I've washed mine since Bill did it at Silverstone last summer, and then it was only washed once since the previous year's Classic.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Not used a polisher on the 289 as I only use wax and quick detailer from Meguires.
I have got a Silverline polisher and I used on Sonia's Jimny when we sold it. It went from dull pink to bright red with an hour with the polisher and Autoglym super resin polish. I use it on the slowest speed. You are more than welcome to borrow it Dave before you buy one.
The Autoglym resin polish works much better than Farecla but that's just my opinion I've got G3 and G10.

Post by chriskcode »

I'm with Nige on this ref speed and G3 and G10 followed by soft mop with finish.
Recently painted my 70 Mach 1 mustang and I could not believe the difference after doing this, it takes a while and you have to be careful if doing for the first time on fresh paint, but boy are the results impressive.
Chris
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

clive wrote:You polish a 289? I don't think I've washed mine since Bill did it at Silverstone last summer, and then it was only washed once since the previous year's Classic.
I didn't want to say anything Clive but it had been noticed :wink:
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

I've used the Autoglym high definition wax which leaves a great finish. Had just been thinking of ways to get a better finish.