Tesla Model S

Other topics
Paul Blore

Re: Tesla Model S

Post by Paul Blore »

Nige,

I wasn't being condescending. You're comparing a low-cost consumable product to a relatively much higher cost mission-critical product. Technology is being used every day in areas that lives depend on and this is no different.

I'm not an expert on autonomous cars, but I am a relative expert on computing and leading edge technology as its what I spend all day earning a living doing.

I'm sorry you took my tongue-in-cheek comments so badly. In retrospect, my comment about knowing "absolutely nothing" didn't come across quite as I intended, so I apologise, and that goes to you to Roger, it wasn't intended to be in any way condescending.

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Dear all,

I think this is in danger of becoming a political v. technical discussion which is doing little for the harmony of the Club forum, for which I do not absolve myself from blame. Could I ask that it therefore be closed? I really think this is the sort of discussion that should be held face-to-face over a pint, rather than hanging in cyberspace for evermore.

Roger
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Seconded.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

The three subjects that you should never dicuss at a dinner party for fear of losing friends used be religion, polictics and sex. Do we now have to add electric cars?
Whilst it's interesting to hear different people's views I agree this is best done altogether in a pub with a pint in hand.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Getting back to the choice of car Paul which model of Jag is it you tested?
The early postings only mentioned RR, RS6 and Cayman GT4. Did I miss the inclusion of the Jag?
I assume it's a supercharged 5.0 L
Peter C
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Hi Peter,

The first car I tested with the F-Type R, which is the 5.0 supercharged V8. It was great fun, but just wouldn't stop shouting. It would be great as a weekend car, but too full-on for everyday use. But like all of you, I already have a very "shouty" V8 for the weekends, so that was discounted from the list.

I've since gone back and had a look at the V6 S, which is a supercharged V6 with 380bhp and it's an altogether much nicer car, It's lighter, nimbler and can be turned down if required. The R is arguably too powerful and too fast, but the S turns it down to a usable level, whilst still being great fun and in Dynamic mode, it sounds fantastic with bangs, pops and crackles on the overrun.

Selina has a new Audi A6 Avant, so the RS6 was discounted on the basis of being too similar to that. There's no point having two large estate cars, even if one of them has over 550bhp. :)

All being well, I'll be placing my order for the F-Type S tomorrow.

I agree with the previous comments about some of these discussions being much better over a pint or three.

Paul
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Paul,
I can understand the shouty nature of the 5.0L having read several magazine articles written about it. As you say the V6S will be a lot more useable/ enjoyable on a daily basis. I guess that the lack of space is equally of no issue if you have the A6 Avant to hand when needed. Enjoy your new wheels.
Peter C