Tesla Model S

Other topics
agnoraan

Re: Tesla Model S

Post by agnoraan »

Roger King wrote:To play the darkest kind of devil's advocate, I think it is the potential legislation that concerns me the most. As more autonomous vehicles appear, there will be pressure on more conventional cars to conform to new regulations which favour the newcomers. They are touted as being able to drive close together at speed, electronically aware of each other's presence. How long before motorways etc. are restricted to autonomous vehicles only on safety grounds? - which will impact negatively on petrol/diesel stations, which already operate on a financial knife-edge. If that delicate system is tipped over fuel stations could get few and far between very quickly, which will really destroy motoring as a hobby or passion. As more and more classics become exempt from road tax and MOTs we will have no say in any of this.
I couldn't agree more, this is just the very thin edge of the wedge as far as I'm concerned. As it stands now, it's nigh on impossible to repair your own modern car if something goes wrong, thereby costing a small fortune to repair it at dealer prices. If the cost to repair is prohibitive, which is part of the planned obsolescence built into cars now anyway, then they would no doubt be scrapped. Once you get into the realms of autonomous cars, there's a whole world of hurt waiting to come into our lives. You won't be able to carry out any repairs to them as they will be too technically advanced. They will have to go into the designated repair agents for repairs. This will no doubt cost a huge amount money which "Joe Public" probably wouldn't be able to afford anyway. Once the manufacturers have mastered the ability to run totally on electric motors, without the need for petrol or diesel, cars as we know them now won't have a viable source of fuel. That is the end of motoring as we know it

I'm predicting that at some point we won't even be allowed to own our own cars. I personally feel that the world powers are aiming towards this end, and cars would be "owned" by the state. If you want a car for work, you "call" for one and it arrives at your door, taking you to your destination. The same would no doubt apply for all journeys. I'm not sure that I would want to be picked up and have to travel in cars that have been occupied by God knows what sort of people prior to me getting the car. I wouldn't want my dog to go in a large majority of car interiors I've seen over the years. I dread to think about what the interior smells or condition of the cars would be like.

Once it gets near to that point, all our type of cars will become worthless as we won't be allowed to use them, we will have to use autonomous cars for our own safety. I'm just glad that I was born when I was and won't have to endure all of this high tech malarky............" and breath"

Nige
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Nige, we need to discuss this in a dark corner of a pub with a row of beers in front of us. We should sit in a circle on the floor, and recall the great cars of times gone past, and remember the exploits of their legendary pilots.

It's the only way.

Roger

edit - alternatively, we could start a new political party with just one manifesto commitment: that no car shall be less than 4 litres in capacity, overhead cams are banned, and carburettors are compulsory. Any car capable of more than 25 mpg shall be confiscated instantly and melted down to make cast-iron engine blocks. It worked for UKIP...
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

.... And then once you're rat arsed, you can climb into your autonomous vehicle and be driven home. :wink:
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Roger King wrote:Nige, we need to discuss this in a dark corner of a pub with a row of beers in front of us. We should sit in a circle on the floor, and recall the great cars of times gone past, and remember the exploits of their legendary pilots.

It's the only way.

Roger

edit - alternatively, we could start a new political party with just one manifesto commitment: that no car shall be less than 4 litres in capacity, overhead cams are banned, and carburettors are compulsory. Any car capable of more than 25 mpg shall be confiscated instantly and melted down to make cast-iron engine blocks. It worked for UKIP...
Amen to that brother,.... Amen :wink:
Last edited by agnoraan on Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

clive wrote:.... And then once you're rat arsed, you can climb into your autonomous vehicle and be driven home. :wink:
Thats enough to make me tee total :cry:

Nige
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Roger,

You can't really compare the parking sensors on a Honda Civic to the technology in a Tesla. The already huge computing power in a Tesla has just been increased by a factor of 40 in order to manage the autonomous technology. Tesla conservatively estimate that an autonomous Tesla will be twice as safe as a car driven by a good human driver. The systems can "see" far more and respond much quicker in an emergency.
These systems are already in daily use in aircraft and have been for years.

However, as impressive as it is and as mind boggling as the performance is, I've come to the conclusion that it is a pretty soulless car to drive.

I'm trying the Jaguar F-Type again tomorrow, but the Range Rover Sport SVR still has huge appeal as does the Audi RS6.

Paul
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Paul Blore wrote:Roger,

You can't really compare the parking sensors on a Honda Civic to the technology in a Tesla. The already huge computing power in a Tesla has just been increased by a factor of 40 in order to manage the autonomous technology. Tesla conservatively estimate that an autonomous Tesla will be twice as safe as a car driven by a good human driver. The systems can "see" far more and respond much quicker in an emergency.
These systems are already in daily use in aircraft and have been for years.

However, as impressive as it is and as mind boggling as the performance is, I've come to the conclusion that it is a pretty soulless car to drive.

I'm trying the Jaguar F-Type again tomorrow, but the Range Rover Sport SVR still has huge appeal as does the Audi RS6.

Paul
Well, I wasn't making that comparison really. My point is that you can currently buy a car with a system that will lock up the wheels and kill the engine in what I consider to be an inappropriate and very dangerous situation with no input from the driver. I'm not bothered who builds it - but Honda is a much more mainstream manufacturer than Tesla, so it's more likely to become the norm, as more people can afford a Honda than can a Tesla. I really don't care if these things are built by Mercedes or Trabant - it's the way they are taking us that I object to and which depresses me. As Nige has said, we need to make the most of how we are allowed to drive at the moment, because it's not going to last much longer. Our great-grandchildren will never believe that we were able to build a car ourselves, control it on public roads with no electronic input, modify it, go over the speed limit, have no GPS on board so nobody knew where we were or how fast we were going, crash it...
David Large

Post by David Large »

Roger,

Rather depressingly I suspect you are right.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

That, I'm afraid to say, I agree with. :(

However, the historic vehicle industry is worth around around £5.5bn and employs 35,000 people in the UK, so it isn't exactly a cottage industry and has significant influence, so it isn't going to disappear any time soon.

There are too many people on the roads that view driving simply as a means to get from A to B and pretty much abdicate all responsibility for their own behaviour. Getting those people into autonomous vehicles can only be a good thing.

The Tesla is a premium car at a premium price point, but it will come down to the mainstream before too long.

My head tells me that a Tesla would be a good choice for all manner of reasons. But as much as I wanted to enjoy it, I really couldn't and my heart screamed for something with a soul. Bring on the Jaaaaaaag. :twisted:

Paul