Tesla Model S

Other topics
Paul Blore

Tesla Model S

Post by Paul Blore »

In my search to replace my current Range Rover in a few months, I took a Tesla S P90D for a test drive yesterday......WOW! :shock:
I was expecting not to like it and as American cars are generally pretty poor quality compared to European cars when it comes to fit, finish and refinement, I wasn't expecting too much in that area.

Tesla describe themselves as a technology company that just happens to make cars, so they can't really be compared to any other car manufacturer, let alone just American one's. This car is a game changer.

To date, all other electric cars have pretty useless ranges on their batteries, but the Tesla has a range of 250-350 miles depending on the specific model and there is a growing network of Tesla specific "Supercharging" stations that will recharge from zero in just over an hour.....and they're completely free.

Refinement is astonishing as you pull away in complete silence, but the performance is the thing that really defines the car when compared to other EV's. Press the throttle and it instantly surges forward on a totally linear acceleration curve. The 0-60 time is a mind bending sub 2.8 seconds, which is actually quite unnerving initially, but then just brings out a fit of giggles from all occupants.

The technology is its other Ace. It will do things that no other car currently can. I drove along the busy M42 using Auto-Pilot and it literally drives itself with no other intervention other having to touch the steering wheel every 5 minutes just to prove you're still awake and not lying on the back seat fast asleep. The car "knows" what is all around it using 360 sensors, so it will automatically take avoiding action if anything approaches too close from any direction. At the moment, the Auto-Pilot is only for use on motorways and dual carriageways, but the car gets upgrades every few months via it's permanent Internet connection, so it is likely at future upgrades will expand that to other roads.

Add to all that the tax benefits of EV's as company cars and the potentially zero cost of "fuel" makes it a very compelling proposition. I'm seriously tempted.

Paul
David Large

Re: Tesla Model S

Post by David Large »

Go for it. It would be a fantastic experience, you may have to sell your trailer however!
My Radical is supposed to do 0-60 in 3 secs, although I doubt if I ever get it to achieve that, but it is a mindblowing experience.
David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Have seen a couple of Teslas out on the street now so you wouldn't be the first. I like them, but totally unpractical for me. ( I drive a Ford Ranger Wildtrak Pick-up that has an 800mm wading depth :mrgreen: )

Post by Paul Blore »

StewbieC wrote:Have seen a couple of Teslas out on the street now so you wouldn't be the first. I like them, but totally unpractical for me. ( I drive a Ford Ranger Wildtrak Pick-up that has an 800mm wading depth :mrgreen: )
All those batteries and deep water doesn't sound like a happy recipe. :)
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

David Large wrote:Go for it. It would be a fantastic experience, you may have to sell your trailer however!
My Radical is supposed to do 0-60 in 3 secs, although I doubt if I ever get it to achieve that, but it is a mindblowing experience.
David
That puts it into some perspective doesn't it. A 2 tonne 5-seater that will easily (press the throttle and go) out accelerate a manic single purpose race car.
The acceleration makes your head spin. It actually makes you dizzy for a few seconds. :twisted:
David Large

Post by David Large »

Electric motors of course produce maximum torque as soon as they start to turn hence the acceleration - those of us that remember trolley buses can recall the fun of the acceleration.
I guess that the Radical might make up ground through corners!

I don't think my pension will run to a Tesla

David
David Large
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Paul Blore wrote:
StewbieC wrote:Have seen a couple of Teslas out on the street now so you wouldn't be the first. I like them, but totally unpractical for me. ( I drive a Ford Ranger Wildtrak Pick-up that has an 800mm wading depth :mrgreen: )
All those batteries and deep water doesn't sound like a happy recipe. :)
True, I'll stick to the 3.2l 5 pot Diesel!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Paul
I hadn't put you in the Jekyl & Hyde category.
One half drives a 7 litre rorty sports car and the other a silent saloon.
One drinks petrol and the other never even visits the pumps.
I guess you will be able to justify the criticism of having a thirsty car as the other will offset your carbon footprint.
I've seen quite a few down this way. They take you by surprise when they flash past.
Go on you know you want one.
Have fun.
Peter C
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

The Range Rover isn't due to go back until October, so I've got a few months yet, but you're right, I do want one. :)

David,
The Radical will definitely make it up in the corners, but over a ¼ mile, the Tesla would probably win. What is the top speed of the Radical?
David Large

Post by David Large »

Depends on the final drive gearing. The highest ratio of the two I have gives me 150mph. I would probably be on the rev limiter at the end of a quarter mile straight, but that is of course guessing, although I did hit the rev limiter with those ratios on the start finish straight at Donington.

David
David Large