Tesla Model S

Other topics
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Tesla Model S

Post by nikbj68 »

Roger King wrote:...I'm not bothered who builds it - but Honda is a much more mainstream manufacturer than Tesla, so it's more likely to become the norm, as more people can afford a Honda than can a Tesla. I really don't care if these things are built by Mercedes or Trabant - it's the way they are taking us that I object to and which depresses me...
Oh no, Roger, It`s WHO is making them that really scares me. Knowing how many electric faults yer typical 6-year old Peugeot/Citroen has, translated into a 6-year old Autonomous car from a similar budget level scares the absolute crap out of me. Probably 80% of owners won`t go 'main dealer' for servicing, and what about when someone hacks the software, (which they will)... :( :( :( :(
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

...indeed, that too...

there are a lot of elements to this that I really don't want to think about
Dale Bowman

Post by Dale Bowman »

I'm pretty certain back in 1896 when the "red flag" man was abolished lots of people were worried about cars travelling above 4mph.
There are 3 types of people in this world
Those who can count and those who cant

DB427SC #006, 427 SO, Toploader
1965 Daytona Coupe ~ Sold
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

DaleB wrote:I'm pretty certain back in 1896 when the "red flag" man was abolished lots of people were worried about cars travelling above 4mph.
And they were right to! Look how fast they go now - much more than 4!
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

nikbj68 wrote:
Roger King wrote:...I'm not bothered who builds it - but Honda is a much more mainstream manufacturer than Tesla, so it's more likely to become the norm, as more people can afford a Honda than can a Tesla. I really don't care if these things are built by Mercedes or Trabant - it's the way they are taking us that I object to and which depresses me...
Oh no, Roger, It`s WHO is making them that really scares me. Knowing how many electric faults yer typical 6-year old Peugeot/Citroen has, translated into a 6-year old Autonomous car from a similar budget level scares the absolute crap out of me. Probably 80% of owners won`t go 'main dealer' for servicing, and what about when someone hacks the software, (which they will)... :( :( :( :(
As autonomous cars get older they're guaranteed to have technical failures. If they can't make an ECU at the moment that doesn't go tits up as it ages, then the technology in autonomous cars will be a nightmare. I can't see people being able to "hack" the software either and if they do what would the point be?

Friends of mine that work in the motor trade have been told not to work on hybrid cars for fear of electrocution. First responders such as firemen and ambulance crews are also at risk when one of these hybrids has an accident

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... dents.html

A number of firemen in the US have lost their lives due to electrocution using the "jaws of life" trying to rescue and cut people out of cars involved in accidents. I would think that only main agents will be allowed to work on autonomous cars, as the fallout if one kills someone due to any failure would be immense....... it's all the work of the Devil I tell you.... :wink:

Nige
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Absolutely right. To work autonomously they have to be a complete non-starter, another automotive blind alley. They can't even sort out who will take the insurance liability in an accident. If the car made the decision that caused harm to another, then it's the manufacturer's liability... if it comes down to the driver, then what's the point? Who's going to let a computer make a decision that the owner is ultimately liable for? I know these things are working in aircraft, but doesn't an airline get sued when people die (and they do, unfortunately)? And mainstream manufacturers will never use gear of aircraft quality. If they do, nobody will be able to afford the cars. Which, as far as I'm concerned, is where we came in with Teslas...
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

..... at least with aircraft they are not within a few feet of each other like cars on the road. I can't for the life of me see how this is going to work. Incidentally, have many people actually said that they want an autonomous car or is this just a manufacturers trying to brainwash people ito thinking that's what they really want?

Nige
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

You lot make me laugh. :lol: :lol:

You're sitting there in front of your computers making judgements on a technology that you know absolutely nothing about. You've already declared it the work of the devil. :wink:

Computers are REALLY cheap to produce and I can assure you that the computers used in the vast majority of commercial aircraft are older than most of you have in your mobile phones. The expensive part of computers is the software and that just gets better and better. Newer, more powerful processors allow more complex and sophisticated software to be developed.

We're looking at cars from the perspective of enthusiasts, but a very significant proportion of drivers really couldn't give a toss about driving. You only need to look at the way people drive and the number of people who still, in spite of everything, still insist on using their phones while driving to know that's true.

In spite of all your scepticism, this technology will come into common use at a price point that will be acceptable for the mass market. The new Tesla Model 3 is already in the BMW 3 Series price range and uses exactly the same technology as the much more expensive Model S.

As these vehicles become more common place, people like us who actually enjoy and take pride in our driving will be safer because we're less likely to get wiped out by some idiot texting to their equally idiotic friend whilst driving.

I drove the Jaguar F-Type S this afternoon and I am smitten. It was terrific and everything the Tesla wasn't. :mrgreen:

Paul
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Paul Blore wrote:You lot make me laugh. :lol: :lol:

You're sitting there in front of your computers making judgements on a technology that you know absolutely nothing about. You've already declared it the work of the devil. :wink:

Computers are REALLY cheap to produce and I can assure you that the computers used in the vast majority of commercial aircraft are older than most of you have in your mobile phones. The expensive part of computers is the software and that just gets better and better. Newer, more powerful processors allow more complex and sophisticated software to be developed.

We're looking at cars from the perspective of enthusiasts, but a very significant proportion of drivers really couldn't give a toss about driving. You only need to look at the way people drive and the number of people who still, in spite of everything, still insist on using their phones while driving to know that's true.

In spite of all your scepticism, this technology will come into common use at a price point that will be acceptable for the mass market. The new Tesla Model 3 is already in the BMW 3 Series price range and uses exactly the same technology as the much more expensive Model S.

As these vehicles become more common place, people like us who actually enjoy and take pride in our driving will be safer because we're less likely to get wiped out by some idiot texting to their equally idiotic friend whilst driving.

I drove the Jaguar F-Type S this afternoon and I am smitten. It was terrific and everything the Tesla wasn't. :mrgreen:

Paul
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Paul Blore wrote:You lot make me laugh. :lol: :lol:

Paul
I'm glad you find my comments amusing, I didnt know you were an expert on how to build and run autonomous car!! All I can say is that computers and phones fuck up on a regular basis and I would hate to see what happens when one of these autonomous cars has a malfunction. Best you enjoy your Jag whilst you still can!!!

Adios all, I'm outta here, I cant be dealing with this condescending crap!!