A little project,....literally

Other topics
agnoraan

A little project,....literally

Post by agnoraan »

A very good friend of mine is into hotrods and a while ago I chopped the roof on his car and painted it with traditional style flames. A few weeks ago he managed to buy a "tot rod" which is a miniature hot rod for kids powered by a lawnmower engine. He asked if I could paint it with the same style flames as his car for his young son. I think his son will be very proud of his new car :wink:

This is the fibreglass shell in primer after having been painted first with an epoxy primer

A few coats of black basecoat were then applied

followed by the flame outline in 1/4" lining tape, notice the photo of his dads car for me to use as reference to copy the flames

A sheet of masking paper was then masked over the shell and a brass rubbing was taken to ensure that one side matched the other

The flames were then masked out ready for colour

A white base was sprayed on first, which gives a good light colour to spray over. The original intention was to outline the flames in white, so it would just have meant lining over the edges of the flames with some 1/8" tape and then unmasking that when all of the colour was on. However, it was decided that it might look too "busy" on such a small car so it was decided to leave it off.

This was followed by pale yellow

Then further colours such as reds and oranges were applied.

All based up ready for lacquer. Unfortunately I took the photo with my phone and it doesn't show the true depth of colours

Two coats of lacquer later......

The dads car

This is a link to the chop on his dads car

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2298

Nige
Paul Blore

Re: A little project,....literally

Post by Paul Blore »

Brilliant. Maybe we should do some of those on the Vincent tank. :wink: :lol:

Paul
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Paul Blore wrote:Brilliant. Maybe we should do some of those on the Vincent tank. :wink: :lol:

Paul

Now you're talking :lol: Oh, and we could stretch the forks, add a sissy bar, king and queen seats.............

Nige
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Like this one:

or this one:

agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Oooh Yeah!! they're nice.... 8)

Nige
Maxakarudy

Post by Maxakarudy »

Nice flame job Nige, that takes me way back.

Now all it needs is some pinstriping.....freehand

Light blue works really well I find.

Martin
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Hi Martin, unfortunately, my hands aren't steady enough to pinstipe by hand :lol: , hence the original plan of masking out the white base with lining tape to give it a pinstripe that way. Although I did this on the dads car, he decided against it on the tot rod. Yeah, blue does look trick and used it to good effect on some other flame jobs I've done :D

Paul, is the second photo of Matt Hotch's "biker build off" bike?? I seem to remember him building a Vincent for the TV show that he eventually raced at Bonneville

Nige
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I have every respect for someone who can paint a perfect pin stripe by hand. Seemly with one stroke of the brush. No going back.
Witnessed at RR factory at Goodwood on the finish painted cars. Hate to think how expensive the cars were 250k + but this guy is then asked to placate the whim of its new owner by adding stripes to follow the curves!
Peter C
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Hey Nige, maybe we could do some flames like that on my 289 when we work the arches :D

Something subtle obviously :wink:

Awesome standard of work as ever.

Post by Paul Blore »

I've seen "ghost" flames done to great effect, which are almost invisible and only stand out at certain viewing angles.

I don't think I've ever seen a hot rod Cobra, but it would look pretty cool. Go for it Dave. 8)

Paul