Top Gear or Flop Gear?

Other topics
Paul Blore

Top Gear or Flop Gear?

Post by Paul Blore »

I watched the first episode of the new Top Gear last night and I suspect the old team will have been wetting themselves laughing at the second rate imitation.
I was expecting it be different, but it was a blatant, albeit poor copy of the original show, even down to the "Some say...." script to introduce the Stig.
Matt LeBlanc was okay on the road tests, but I think Chris Evans was trying way too hard and why did he have to shout all if the time?
I'm not sure I'll be watching it again.

Paul
Roger King

Re: Top Gear or Flop Gear?

Post by Roger King »

Like it or loathe it, TG was about Clarkson, not cars. As the Indy's reviewer said today, he 'gave a voice to downtrodden white, middle-age male heterosexuals everywhere...through the guilty pleasure of blokeish banter, stupid stunts and his own style of skilled condescension.' 'He had a real love of cars and a journalistic knack for communicating this.' Personally, I don't like Clarkson, but I think this reviewer was spot-on and the new show won't last for as Paul says, it feels like a poor imitation rather than something new. I had to turn the volume down after 15 minutes of Evans' seriously annoying voice. I don't believe LeBlanc will work because there was always something very 'British' about the old three. I bet he was never taken on a caravanning holiday as a kid.
chriskcode

Post by chriskcode »

Well I missed it due trying to numb the pain from dropping a FMX torque convertor on one of my fingers whilst trying to get the damned thing off. I have never moved so quick from under a car uttering expletives at about 8, my new neighbours must think what a lunatic !

Sounds like Top Geear was more painful than my poorly finger :oops:

Chris
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

It's probably a very close call Chris. :wink:
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

chriskcode wrote:Well I missed it due trying to numb the pain from dropping a FMX torque convertor on one of my fingers whilst trying to get the damned thing off. I have never moved so quick from under a car uttering expletives at about 8, my new neighbours must think what a lunatic !

Sounds like Top Geear was more painful than my poorly finger :oops:

Chris
I've always thought automatics are bad for you. Hope your finger's better soon
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

As someone who was once in the business of broadcasting, and whatever you might think of Clarkson, to my mind his voice was/is so much more attractive than the high-pitched ultra loud grating noise which comes out of Evans mouth. Might be OK for a Radio 1 audience or, even now he is on it, for a Radio 2 audience (mind you standards have been slipping on that channel for ages) but for comfortable listening on TV it is appalling. Thank goodness I joined Amazon Prime for next to nothing. Now how actually do I get Prime ?
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

PeterT wrote:As someone who was once in the business of broadcasting, and whatever you might think of Clarkson, to my mind his voice was/is so much more attractive than the high-pitched ultra loud grating noise which comes out of Evans mouth. Might be OK for a Radio 1 audience or, even now he is on it, for a Radio 2 audience (mind you standards have been slipping on that channel for ages) but for comfortable listening on TV it is appalling. Thank goodness I joined Amazon Prime for next to nothing. Now how actually do I get Prime ?
Yes, my point exactly.
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

PeterT wrote:Thank goodness I joined Amazon Prime for next to nothing. Now how actually do I get Prime ?
There are a number of ways to watch Amazon Prime Peter. If you don't already have a smart TV with the Amazon Prime app pre-installed, probably the easiest way is to buy a Fire TV device from Amazon at just under £30:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-W87CUN- ... ords=Prime

Paul
DavidP
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidP »

Watched the repeat last night and frankly will not be watching it again.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Evans missed his target by 1 million, significantly lower figures than the last of the old series. It won't work - it's not Clarkson. The BBC have made the usual mistake of assuming this is a show about cars, which it hasn't been for years - it was about the interactions and old-school male fantasy interactions between three blokes.* I don't give this version long.

*I use 'blokes' advisedly.