Just watched "Extra Gear" on BBC3, better than the main show. LOTS. :roll:
Sabine Schmitz is officially as nutty as squirrel sh1t. Brilliant! :lol:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Top Gear or Flop Gear?

Post by peterc »

And now even the main presenter has given it up. Chris Evans obviously concerned that it might affect his future.
An ex Stig suggested that it was the first episode being sub standard that set the scene to make it a failure.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I enjoyed the Mustang feature, and agreed with everything they said, especially the conclusion. But then, I would, wouldn't I?
Not sure about describing a '67 as 'the original', though...

Why on earth do they make the Ecoboost? What a waste of metal

Shan't be sorry to see Evans go. I think the others could make it work pretty well, but not sure they need EJ.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Glad Chris has gone and I have to disagree about the Mustang feature. The majority of cars that are lauded up on Top Gear will never be bought by the majority of people who watch the show, does this make the cars people actually buy shite, not really.
I had a new Mustang as V6 as a hire car in the US a couple of weeks ago more underpowered than the Ecoboost but I still thought it was a nice car and nicer than 99% of Euroboxes that grace the streets over here. Would I buy a V8 over here, as a second car maybe but at 13-20 MPG and our fuel prices and 15-20 k miles per year sorry but I don't have 2k a year to flush down the toilet. But I would consider an Ecoboost and at 30k would I buy a top of the range Mondeo / Insignia or a Mustang sorry but the Mustang wins hands down and even as a 4 pot. In much the same way as all those 6 pots sold in the 60's.
I have to agree a classic would trump all modern cars, but again as a daily driver? I don't think so, but if Frontline sold that MGB at a third of the price they do I could be tempted but not for 100k which is probably the reason why you don't see loads of them.
JMHO as we are all entitled to one ;)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

All good points, Stu - but speaking personally I'd rather have the Ecoboost motor in the Focus, by a long chalk.
Maxakarudy

Post by Maxakarudy »

StewbieC wrote: I have to agree a classic would trump all modern cars, but again as a daily driver? I don't think so, but if Frontline sold that MGB at a third of the price they do I could be tempted but not for 100k which is probably the reason why you don't see loads of them.
Why not have a classic Mustang as a daily driver?, they are similar money as a new one and going up in value yearly and everyday is an adventure :)
In fact, I've just done exactly that, sold my 911 Carrera and bought an MGB GT (£1000, lol), there are days I might regret it I'm sure, but classics are so much more fun, I have a Sprinter van as my other pony, just in case.
As for the Frontline car, I could build one for a fraction of that cost, as everyone else could, also with independant rear suspension too boot, Gerry H designed a conversion kit to do it, so 100k for an MGB or a E type Roadster hmmm......, let me think for a millisecound which one I'd have :lol:
Martin
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Maxakarudy wrote:
StewbieC wrote: I have to agree a classic would trump all modern cars, but again as a daily driver? I don't think so, but if Frontline sold that MGB at a third of the price they do I could be tempted but not for 100k which is probably the reason why you don't see loads of them.
Why not have a classic Mustang as a daily driver?, they are similar money as a new one and going up in value yearly and everyday is an adventure :)
In fact, I've just done exactly that, sold my 911 Carrera and bought an MGB GT (£1000, lol), there are days I might regret it I'm sure, but classics are so much more fun, I have a Sprinter van as my other pony, just in case.
As for the Frontline car, I could build one for a fraction of that cost, as everyone else could, also with independant rear suspension too boot, Gerry H designed a conversion kit to do it, so 100k for an MGB or a E type Roadster hmmm......, let me think for a millisecound which one I'd have :lol:
Martin
Indeed. I ran a Triumph GT6 as my everyday car about 15 years ago, no problems apart from space. Dirt cheap to run, too.
Not sure how well-sorted an E-type you'd get for 100k, that's now a starting point really and they are total rustbuckets. The Eagle featured was over 400k, IIRC.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Roger King wrote:
Maxakarudy wrote:
Martin
Indeed. I ran a Triumph GT6 as my everyday car about 15 years ago, no problems apart from space. Dirt cheap to run, too.
Not sure how well-sorted an E-type you'd get for 100k, that's now a starting point really and they are total rustbuckets. The Eagle featured was over 400k, IIRC.
Someone I know has an E type series 2 hardtop parked in her mother in laws garage and it was a part of her divorce settlement. I was offered it for sale a few weeks ago. It had stood for 35 years in a dry garage, but even so it was really rusty, even the gauges inside had huge rust blisters on them. She later decided to put it up for sale with sealed bids, so at that point I withdrew my interest. It turns out she only wanted £15K for it
Nige
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Daily drivers for me are point and shoot, hopefully low hassle, practical and don't cost the earth to run.
911 Carrera, nice looking car yes, reasonable to buy No, cheap to run No,
Focus, nice looking car No, reasonable to buy yes, cheap to run yes
Classic Mustang, nice looking car Ohh Yes, reasonable to buy yes, cheap to run not if it's a V8 + reliability issues
New Mustang, nice looking car yes, reasonable to buy yes, cheap to run if an Ecoboost yes
I've had numerous company cars in the past, Audis, Volvos, Mondeos, Jags, would I ever have bought one of those myself No!
If an Audi comes in the opposite direction do you ask yourself, nice car? If you see a Mondeo do you go onto Fords website and download a brochure?
We can all say if money was no object and and and, but when its 5:30 in the morning all you want to do is get in it, fire it up and go! What other modern cars are out there that have a bit of cultural heritage, reasonably cost effective may on occasion put a smile on your face? Oh they've stopped building the Defender.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I had a Series III as my daily driver for 4 years, school run and all...

I'm in the lucky position of not really needing a daily driver. Never have, really... 60yd walk to the surgery, and my job was not portable, punters had to come to me. Not sure how much longer I'll keep the 3 series estate. Might just get my wife to get something a little bit bigger than her (quite excellent) Jazz, and nick that when I need something for general driving duties.
On another note, I see Tesla sales are tumbling in the US, and that before the recent fatal crash.