Top Gear or Flop Gear?

Other topics
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Top Gear or Flop Gear?

Post by StewbieC »

Have to agree, I thought it was poor, the part with Sabine and Chris with the "missile lock on" was frankly insulting to the intelligence. I watched an episode of the Classic car show with Quentin and Jodie afterwards and thought that was better!
I do embrace change but Le Blanc was wooden, Evans was toooo much, I give it one series in its current format.... max!

Post by Maxakarudy »

Evan's input was sweet FA, just a poor imitation.
Clarkson must be so pleased to see nothing changed in the format and the challenges below par.
Evan's had a golden opportunity, but scored an own goal, I'll watch it as there's not much else, but it needs new blood with new ideas.
Martin
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

It might just work with Chris Harris (who does understand cars and drives them very competitively, Sabine, who is more than just the token female and Eddie Jordan to provide the snide insider comments. No celebrities, no Matt, certainly noooo Evans, but let a new group of relative unknowns create their own chemistry and if they are any good they will eventually become celebs just like Clarkson et a,l who were themselves unknown (relatively) when they started. Oh and by the way Beeb it would be much cheaper, Eddie apart of course.
And while we are at it what makes Evans so special that he is the exec producer ? Sensible suggestions please, or not maybe ?
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Pinning my hopes on Chris Harris.... :?
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
DavidP
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by DavidP »

Top Gear has been around for quite a long time and [according to u-tube] it would appear that all the different presenters have managed to put their own stamp on it, for good or bad. What "annoyed" me is that keep the name Top Gear/YES, but new presenters trying to mimic the past/NO. It really did not work - and keeping the old set, concept and style with the new main presenter Chris Evans [from where??]. Yuk, yuk & yuk.
If the BBC with the chappie Evans did something new then OK - but No, a shame.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Just watched "Extra Gear" on BBC3, better than the main show. LOTS. :roll:
Sabine Schmitz is officially as nutty as squirrel sh1t. Brilliant! :lol:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

And now even the main presenter has given it up. Chris Evans obviously concerned that it might affect his future.
An ex Stig suggested that it was the first episode being sub standard that set the scene to make it a failure.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I enjoyed the Mustang feature, and agreed with everything they said, especially the conclusion. But then, I would, wouldn't I?
Not sure about describing a '67 as 'the original', though...

Why on earth do they make the Ecoboost? What a waste of metal

Shan't be sorry to see Evans go. I think the others could make it work pretty well, but not sure they need EJ.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Glad Chris has gone and I have to disagree about the Mustang feature. The majority of cars that are lauded up on Top Gear will never be bought by the majority of people who watch the show, does this make the cars people actually buy shite, not really.
I had a new Mustang as V6 as a hire car in the US a couple of weeks ago more underpowered than the Ecoboost but I still thought it was a nice car and nicer than 99% of Euroboxes that grace the streets over here. Would I buy a V8 over here, as a second car maybe but at 13-20 MPG and our fuel prices and 15-20 k miles per year sorry but I don't have 2k a year to flush down the toilet. But I would consider an Ecoboost and at 30k would I buy a top of the range Mondeo / Insignia or a Mustang sorry but the Mustang wins hands down and even as a 4 pot. In much the same way as all those 6 pots sold in the 60's.
I have to agree a classic would trump all modern cars, but again as a daily driver? I don't think so, but if Frontline sold that MGB at a third of the price they do I could be tempted but not for 100k which is probably the reason why you don't see loads of them.
JMHO as we are all entitled to one ;)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

All good points, Stu - but speaking personally I'd rather have the Ecoboost motor in the Focus, by a long chalk.