Euro Referendum, Good For The Kit Car Industry?

Other topics
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Euro Referendum, Good For The Kit Car Industry?

Post by clive »

Now that the UK has voted to leave the EU, does that mean we can get on with our "Historic" cars and be free from all the European laws governing kit car manufacture?
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Paul Blore

Re: Euro Referendum, Good For The Kit Car Industry?

Post by Paul Blore »

That may be the case for England Clive, but listening to Nicola Sturgeon, she seems to have a different plan for you in Scotland. :?

Paul
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Paul, I'm trying to find a positive here. Don't rain on my parade. :(
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Johannes1

Post by Johannes1 »

Nothing positive for Nobody, perhaps in the future for Scotland and Northireland.
Totally no understanding for 51,8% of the britains, Hope the best for England.
regards
Johannes
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

I'm happy to declare that I voted to leave, although I was profoundly surprised by the outcome this morning. However, having spoken to a number of people today who also fully intended to vote Leave, but bottled it when it came to actually vote and ended up putting a tick in the Remain box, my suspicion is that the real percentage for Leave was actually higher than the result suggests.

I was dismayed that the Remain campaign couldn't present a single positive reason to stay within the EU and instead focused purely on what disasters may fall upon us if we left. I happen to believe that Britain has a vast amount to offer Europe and the wider world and we don't need to be in the EU to do that. We are much better to form our own independent relationships with other sovereign nations. In spite of all the doom mongering and downplaying of our global status, we are the 5th largest economy in the world and the simple fact that this morning's result has sent huge ripples around the globe speaks volumes for our standing and influence.

Having said that, I don't think that the Leave campaign covered themselves in glory either.

There will inevitably be knee-jerk responses to this momentous decision, take the financial markets as an example, but once all the dust has settled, I really don't think that the world as we know it will come to an end. All of the commentators from around the world have been falling over themselves today to impress how keen they are to establish trading agreements with Britain, which I suspect will happen much more quickly than has ever been possible within the EU. The reason that EU trade deals have taken so long is because there are 27 other nations all trying to tweak any agreement to their benefit.

Over recent years, the EU as a whole has enjoyed (?) the second lowest rate of growth in the world, second only to Antarctica!

Paul
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

The EU has virtually nothing to do with the arguments around historic cars. That comes from FIVA, which is a global organisation (it has a big voice in the US as well) and not an EU organisation.
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

They say that here are three topics you shouldn't discuss at dinner parties - religion, sex and politics as to do so may lose you friends.
So progress this line of chat at your own risk.
I believe that for the majority of the population the die was set when the EU effectively raised two fingers to Cameron when he tried to negotiate better terms. The president of the EU made it quite clear the the UK could not have any concessions. I feel that Brussels have interfered and been over riding our UK laws and the MEP's have been on the gravy train for too long at our expense.

Back to the original query by Clive I truly hope despite Rogers comments regarding FIVA being international that we will be able to keep our current UK rules on rebuilt cars. We haven't previously had an issue on taking a UK registered car to the continent so unless they react to us leaving the EU by creating new rules just to spite us. That is of course the French way which is why an FIA has bumps on the boot lid.
Peter C
Last edited by peterc on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David Large

Post by David Large »

Paul Blore wrote:I'm happy to declare that I voted to leave, although I was profoundly surprised by the outcome this morning. However, having spoken to a number of people today who also fully intended to vote Leave, but bottled it when it came to actually vote and ended up putting a tick in the Remain box, my suspicion is that the real percentage for Leave was actually higher than the result suggests.

I was dismayed that the Remain campaign couldn't present a single positive reason to stay within the EU and instead focused purely on what disasters may fall upon us if we left. I happen to believe that Britain has a vast amount to offer Europe and the wider world and we don't need to be in the EU to do that. We are much better to form our own independent relationships with other sovereign nations. In spite of all the doom mongering and downplaying of our global status, we are the 5th largest economy in the world and the simple fact that this morning's result has sent huge ripples around the globe speaks volumes for our standing and influence.

Having said that, I don't think that the Leave campaign covered themselves in glory either.

There will inevitably be knee-jerk responses to this momentous decision, take the financial markets as an example, but once all the dust has settled, I really don't think that the world as we know it will come to an end. All of the commentators from around the world have been falling over themselves today to impress how keen they are to establish trading agreements with Britain, which I suspect will happen much more quickly than has ever been possible within the EU. The reason that EU trade deals have taken so long is because there are 27 other nations all trying to tweak any agreement to their benefit.

Over recent years, the EU as a whole has enjoyed (?) the second lowest rate of growth in the world, second only to Antarctica!

Paul
I voted to leave too.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!