Forums and stuff

Other topics
Roger King

Forums and stuff

Post by Roger King »

It's interesting how other clubs run their online activity. I've just joined the 2CVGB Club (don't ask), and you cannot post anything anywhere on their forums without being a paid-up member. You can't even read any of the threads in the various topics - nothing. I think this is probably counter-productive (it's certainly a real pain when it can apparently take 6 weeks to process your membership application!!), but I'll keep an eye on it and report back my experiences of it as being a useful resource or not.

On another note, in another thread it was revealed that SAAC have no intention of keeping records or a register of Kirkhams and their owners, or indeed any other type of 'continuation' or 'replica' Cobra. I think there might be an idea in having registrars for the various cars we have in T289R, BRAs, Hawks, Kirkhams, 427s, ACs, Daytonas, others, and.... Nige. God knows what his car counts as. Maybe a thought for the committee. I would be happy to be Kirkham registrar unless someone else is keen, and I'd happily suggest Nige be appointed Nige registrar.

Roger
agnoraan

Re: Forums and stuff

Post by agnoraan »

Roger, you're too kind, thanks for nominating me, as I'm the only "Nige club" member I'll second that nomintaion and will organise a committe meeting in due course........... I'll need a chairman and a secretary of course, oh and a treasurer too, any volunteers?? Nige at the back there, for chairman?? seconded by Nige at the front here, thankyou Nige. At this rate The Nige Register, or the "TNR" will flourish very quickly I feel. Nurse, nurse,..... the meds are wearing off. Rog, they're not listening!! have you got anything left over from your employment days, you know, nudge nudge, wink wink, with a wonky handshake :wink: :lol: :lol: ......... and breathe

Nige
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Haha Nige - TNR - I like it!

Roger - interesting info. Co-incidentally, I've been experimenting with databases recently to try to create a new members database. Very early days, but it occurred to me that our current system has the member and their car in the same table - so there's no history kept of who owned a particular car in the past.

My thinking was to create a database with two tables - one for the member, and one for the car. That way, a member's record could be associated with multiple cars. Two examples:

- a member owns several 289s
- a member is a former owner of a car that is now owned by someone else.

By having cars as separate entities in the database, a history of ownership could be built up. If a member who owned a 289 left the club, the car's details could be kept on record in case they (or a future owner) re-joined. This would keep a history of a vehicle as best we could. It would also make the club a more useful organisation to be a part of. It would become more of a registry than it is today, serving the needs of purchasers of our vehicles in the future. The flip side of this is that a member who is selling benefits because he can prove some history.

Although replica cars aren't considered geniune, there's probably merit in trying to establish their provenance and quality of construction. That would be a benefit to the members of the club. What do you think?

Another question I have: What would the registrar actually do? Do they just keep a record of ownership, or do they do more checking of the car - keeping a record of how it was constructed, or what changes were made over the years? Do they need to physically inspect the car? (Sorry if this is a newbie question - I am an ACOC member, but haven't looked at the registry much recently). Would be interested in your thoughts.

On a related note - if there's anyone out there who knows about SQL databases and wants to give me a hand, I'd be interested to hear from them.

Cheers,

Andy
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

I've been thinking about how the club might help members keep a history of their cars based on what Roger said above.

I had originally planned to try to implement a database to support nominated registrars keeping records of vehicles, but have too many other things on to do that right now. Then I stumbled on Patina - I wondered if anyone used this service?

https://www.getpatina.com

Andy
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

That looks really interesting. I'll take a deeper look and maybe register when I get a few minutes spare.

Paul
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I don't know if JH has a copy but when I was Membership Secretary I had a Microsoft Access database which dated back to Jan 1998 of all members and their cars.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I'll see if I still have a copy but I thought that the clubs data base went back further than 1998. It may well need a little bit of modernisation to make it easier to use but is a mine of info.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I can confirm that my copy of the club listings also goes back to 1998 so is probably the same one as that passed onto Clive when he took over from me.

When we joined the 289 Register we will have all signed to allow our details to be available to other club members. However for security I think that the full details of the list this should only be available to key club officials. We have previously issued out an abbreviated list to members to let them know who is in which county thus allowing members to contact other members locally by phone or email. Details of the car other than Ford or Rover engine were not divulged and of obviously addresses/post codes were withheld. It is a fine balance to allow members access to info that enhances their membership but also maintaining car owners security in this ever complicated cyber world.
I know I am a bit of as dinosaur but having a list up in the ether makes me nervous. Better to just be on the memberships secretary's computer and accessed on a real need to know basis.
Peter C
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks Peter. I'm sure the right balance could be struck one way or another, but am getting the feeling that this isn't a particularly popular idea.

I did find this site: http://www.cobraregistry.com/registry.aspx?mnuid=21& But the ERA and Kirkham registries seem to be offline, so maybe it isn't worth pursuing.