Would you fit it?

Other topics
agnoraan

Would you fit it?

Post by agnoraan »

Would you fit something to your car if it didn't work, purely based on the cosmetic looks? I'm having a little bit of a mental dilemma going on and just curious as to what you guys would do.

Next
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Would you fit it?

Post by nikbj68 »

...Have a clock waiting to go in the dash...+ve earth, so purely for show, but then they never worked for long anyway!
:wink:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

The build quality of our members cars has risen year on year.
Some of these enhancements are items that not only add weight but have no performance or any specific practical function.
There is also probably a growing number of members who are fitting these items because it will help to convince the average observer that our fibreglass replica is actually an original.
My personal view is that given I can find sufficient expertise I would fit more than I currently have.
So - my views as follows
Ali lining inside the engine bay on the inner front wheel arches - yes, currently plucking up the courage to get started.
Scuttle to front suspension bracing - yes, I already have these.
Fake quick lifts - no, in case someone tried to use them.
Wheel spinners - Hawks & Kirkhams already have the real thing but I guess if you don't then yes it would look better with some.
Fake fans - no because I have functional ones in front that also protect the rad a little.
Fake front leaf springs - yes if I can work out what would need to be done with the header tank. Stewbie assures me I won't need a councellor.
Fake dash board switches - yes and no. i do have an extra switch or two positioned correctly but not performing the same function as on the original. E.g. Cold air knob actually is an interior light switch.

So it's all down to the individual and that's what makes our cars unique.
Nige I think you are doing a grand job and you will be inspiring others to pluck up the courage to give it try. Keep up the good work.
Peter C
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

nikbj68 wrote:...Have a clock waiting to go in the dash...+ve earth, so purely for show, but then they never worked for long anyway!
:wink:
The ali dash is next on my agenda after the engine bay :wink:

Nige
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Intersting, thanks for the replies. I'm in the middle of re doing the engine bay and I'm fitting a header tank to the bulkhead behind the engine as that'll be the highest point of the cooling system. However, there's a large open expanse in the engine bay between the engine and the radiator. I've put the cross brace in which makes it look a little better, but I'm undecided whether it's be crass to fit a Harrison header tank or similar into the area just behind the X. I could run the hoses off it as they should, so that it'd be visually correct, but they'd be blanked off so that the tank isn't used. The tank would only be there to visually remove the large open area.

As you can see here, there's an awful lot of room between the engine and the radiator. I'm just wondering if a tank would "fill" that gap and make it look more pleasing to the eyes.

Being a bit of a cheapskate, I knocked this up this morning using two spun aluminium ends and a centre piece, just to trial it in place. This could be welded up and two aluminium braces fitted where the tape is to hold it to the bracketry

Nige
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

If you fit those, it might Tefalue the car!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let`s just see how it pans out, eh?! :twisted:

:oops:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

nikbj68 wrote:If you fit those, it might Tefalue the car!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let`s just see how it pans out, eh?! :twisted:

:oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol: ok, I'll hold my hands up, but it does add a new meaning to the term boiling over :wink:

That's got to be the cheapest header/expansion tank ever. Three milk pans for £9.00, a bit of ali tube welded to it for the hoses and weld on an old filler kneck with cap,....bargain methinks. Why would anyone want to spend $160 on a Harrison tank when you can have the Tefal?? :P :wink:

Nige
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

I guess that if I'm going to confess, I'd better do it properly and cleanse myself of all my sins. When I was building my blown model A hotrod, I didn't want to buy a "moon" tank for it, so I made one from two VW camper hubcaps and a piece of stainless wrapped around their edges. this was secured in the grille opening by two stainless straps (which covered the joins) along with some black piping on either side of the straps. I never did tell anyone how it was made :P :P :P :lol: :lol:

Nige